Shampoos for hard water use Chelating agents to blast away mineral buildup on your scalp and hair.
Just like the Club Soda effect on hair. (I love this)
I’ll tell you more about this trick below. Keep reading …
But first, let me guess …
You’re here because your hair feels:
- Clumpy at the roots
- Frizzy at the ends
- Slimy and gross
- Dry yet greasy
- And flakey on the scalp
And if you’re one of them, chances are:
Your shower head looks heavily clogged up …
… and your washing machine, a perfect candidate for the next Calgon ad.
Now: Think what’s in your hair !
I feel your pain.
But there’s no avoiding the cold hard truth:
Tackling hard water and hair problems require a few lifestyle changes.
Not just a change of shampoo.
And that’s what I am going to show you today.
Table Of Contents
- Hard Water Areas
- Your Hard Water Treatment Options & Solutions
- Top 10 Best Shampoos For Hard Water (With Chelating)
- 1. Malibu Hard Water Shampoo
- 2. Ion Shampoo For Hard Water (+ Conditioner)
- 3. Kenra Clarifying Shampoo
- 4. Beautiful Nutrition Grapefruit Detox
- 5. Nioxin Clarifying Cleanser
- 6. Joico K Pak Clarifying Shampoo
- 7. Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo
- 8. Ouidad Water Works Clarifying Shampoo
- 9. Aubrey Organics Swimmers Shampoo
- 10. Mizani Phormula-7 Neutralizing Chelating Shampoo
- Do Your Weekly Hair & Scalp Detox With A Clarifying Shampoo
- Chelate With Club Soda ! (Fizzzzzzz !!!)
- Demineralizers – Another One For The DIY Fanatics
- How To Make Hair Last Longer Between Washes
- Dandruff Is More Than Just Dry Skin From Hard Water
- Use Apple Cider Vinegar As Your Gunk Ninja !
- For No Pooers – Baking Soda Is The Legit Holy Grail
- Homemade Shampoo For Hard Water Recipe
- Swim Proof Your Hair – Best Shampoo For Swimmers Hair
- Color Treated Hair shampoos That Work Against Hard Water
- The Quick Test Strip: 3 seconds home DIY water test
- Get The Picture: What is hard water (Explained in simple illustrations).
- Hard Water Solutions: How to fix hard water shower and more …
- Shampoos: The Top 10 best shampoos you can buy
- Chelating: The Hard water hair shampoo that works
- Weekly Demineralizer: With the Club Soda trick. It’s magic !
- Argan Oil: Because you need a hair restructurer too
- Dandruff: Wash your hair less. It helps !
- DIY Recipes: How to soften hard water at home
- Special Hair Types: Color-treated, swimmers etc
Hard Water Areas
Did you know ?
The area you live in has an effect on your hair and your skin ?
Tough luck …
I live in London, and I can relate to these problems.
If I had a choice, I’d swap for Amsterdam.
Now that’s what I call soft water. Your hair will love Amsterdam !
Amsterdam has the lowest calcium content in it’s tap water.
I can confirm it’s nothing to do with the funny stuff people smoke there 🙂
Unfortunately, for some of us …
Water does more harm than good.
Hard Water Deposits Harm Your Skin & Hair
Here’s the main problem: Mineral salts
They are made of:
- Calcium & Chlorine: This chokes your hair at the root
- Magnesium: Takes the shine off your hair
- Sulfates: Strip natural oils
- Iron: Causes excessive dry feeling and changes hair texture
- Copper: Discolours your hair
- Silica: Forms a hard & insoluble deposit on surfaces
- Lead: Prevents chemical services, such as perms and colors, from processing
I call them: hair abusers.
Let me explain …
These mineral salts gradually break down the structure of your hair.
They absorb and crystallize inside wet hair. And when they dry, they make your hair brittle by sucking the moisture around it.
This process is called Hygroscopy (Wikipedia).
Weak and brittle hair lead to split ends and the straw like texture.
To make it worse:
If you are blonde, you’re more likely to see your hair turn orange.
Water with high amounts of calcium and magnesium makes blonde hair brassy.
Here are more problems you face from water hardness:
- Less Soap Lather: Your soap is less efficient on minerals
- Scaly Film Layer: It creates a stubborn layer on your hair
- Conditioners Don’t Work: Conditioners cannot penetrate your hair
- Excessive Heat Styling: You have to blast up your flat iron temperature
- Hair Tone Changes: Brassy hair tone and dull colors
- Strips Natural Moisture: Abrasive salt strips moisture
- Scalp Build Up: Calcium accumulates on your scalp
- Heavy & Flat: You hair feels heavy and flat
- Dandruff: Flakes and dandruff will look obvious
- Hair loss: Blocked pores on your scalp cause hair loss
- Difficult To Brush: Makes your hair tangle after shower
Check Inside Your Tea Kettle
Open up your kettle and check inside.
If you find white or yellowish chunky flakes, then your water is doing a number on you too.
And These Slimy Gunk Are Having A Party On Your Scalp !
Just like the flakes sit in the bottom of your kettle, they build up on your scalp too (Yuck !).
If you start with an effective cleansing regime, you can benefit from your scalp’s natural renewing process.
“Scalp skin changes regularly, in that every 25 days, there are new cells that have replaced old cells. So the good news is that you can effectively treat your sticky scalp quickly with the right products.”
Dr. Francesca Fusco, MD, Manhattan-based dermatologist
Think of your scalp like your face.
If it’s sticky and greasy, you’d clean it straight away. Right ?
Eczema – A Common Hard Water Skin Problem
Water with calcium hardness and minerals trigger eczema and irritation according to New York Dermatologist Dr Eric Shweiger.
A separate research from the university of Nottingham concluded that Eczema was more common among school aged children living in hard water areas.
I can’t imagine a day going without my Clarins moisturizing cream and my Olay Ribbons body wash. They work well to prevent my skin from drying.
Are you doing enough to save your hair and your skin ?
Let me help you …
Your Hard Water Treatment Options & Solutions
Here’s my step-by-step guide on how to deal with hard water:
- Use A Test Kit: Check water hardness in your tap
- Shower Softener: Easy shower filter solution
- Shampoos: Chelate and clarify
- Club Soda: Blast away the stubborn build up
- Demineralizer: Fix brassiness and discoloration
- Argan Oil: Keep your hair hydrated
The 3 Seconds Total Hardness Water Test Kit
Now, before I go into details …
Let’s find out how bad the water is in your area.
You have 2 options:
- Use a professional service like HomeWater101 (US) or Waterways (UK)
- Buy a hard water test kit from Amazon.com
The test kit is dead simple to use.
- Dip one test strip in a cup of water for 3 Seconds.
- Remove and check the color of the strip
The kit comes with an easy to understand color guide.
Amber means you’re alright, while RED indicates a high level of calcium and magnesium.
RED also confirms why your hair isn’t fluffy, soft to touch, and bouncy anymore.
Let’s get started …
Let me show you how to fix hard water.
Get A Brita For Your Shower – Hard Water Shower Filter
A home water softening system is not always a feasible option. It costs $500 upwards to get one plus installation costs.
And if you’re an apartment dweller like me, forget about it.
Your quickest and cheapest option is a shower filter.
And what better way to show you this:
I recently saw this T3 In-line shower filter, and I like the concept.
If you’re not keen on a shower filter system yet …
Start using a good shampoo for hard water build up.
Lather Up With Hard Water Shampoos
Ditch your regular shampoo.
So far, it’s been useless in clearing up the gunk. And you know it.
Heavy minerals in water don’t allow soap, detergents, and shampoos to dissolve. They interfere with the process.
That’s why your hair feels heavy and weighed down.
And when your shampoo doesn’t lather up, it doesn’t rinse off.
Here’s a simple illustration:
As a result, the shampoo residue sticks to your scalp.
Can you imagine what this does ?
- It stays in your hair
- Clogs the pores on your scalp
- And it creates a layer that blocks hydration
What follows is: Scalp irritations.
So, before it gets worse …
Use the fastest hard water fix for your hair: Chelating.
How Chelating Shampoos Work
Chelating has anti-static properties. It binds to these hard water villains to make them soluble.
Take a look at these special shampoos:
Top 10 Best Shampoos For Hard Water (With Chelating)
1. Malibu Hard Water Shampoo
The number 1 hard water wellness shampoo.
2. Ion Shampoo For Hard Water (+ Conditioner)
Eliminates mineral buid-up. Safe for color-treated hair.
3. Kenra Clarifying Shampoo
Removes hard deposits in water buildup.
4. Beautiful Nutrition Grapefruit Detox
Sulfate-Free, Paraben-free gentle shampoo. Contains no synthetic dyes.
5. Nioxin Clarifying Cleanser
A good shampoo for hair loss due to hard water.
6. Joico K Pak Clarifying Shampoo
The Joico clarifying shampoo contains chelating agents.
7. Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo
Your weekly detox shampoo that removes build up and gives your hair and scalp a good detox.
8. Ouidad Water Works Clarifying Shampoo
Get squeaky clean hair. It fights the hard water minerals to leave your hair soft.
9. Aubrey Organics Swimmers Shampoo
No Sulfates, No Parabens, and no artificial scents.
10. Mizani Phormula-7 Neutralizing Chelating Shampoo
Mizani’s best chelating shampoo for hard water.
Do Your Weekly Hair & Scalp Detox With A Clarifying Shampoo
Imagine if your hair had a reset button !
With a total hair and scalp detox, you’ve got your finger on that reset button.
Let a clarifying shampoo sweep up all the dirty residues, the hair sprays, and the calcium build up.
Let it unclog the pores on your scalp. Let your scalp breeeaathe.
Use it once a week, and your hair will feel squeaky clean.
Warning: This will pump up the volume !
Because your hair will be fluffy, light, and most importantly CLEAN !
Don’t Use Sulfates To Wash Sulfates
Your intention here is to reduce exposure to harsh chemicals.
Look for chelating shampoos without sulfates.
Like the ones I’ve recommended above.
Or, if you want to make it fun …
Chelate With Club Soda ! (Fizzzzzzz !!!)
Can you feel the fizzzzzz ??
This is my favourite trick and I love it.
The magic Club Soda breaks up mineral deposits and is harmless to your hair.
Why you should try it:
- Stable pH: It has stable pH5 level
- Gentle: It is hair friendly
- Sugar-Free: It won’t make hair sticky
- Easy To Do: It only takes a few minutes
- Cheap: And it’s cheap !
Here are some personal experiences with Club Soda:
The Long Hair Community: Club Soda for rinsing out hair (forum discussion) »
Wonderhowto: 13 fascinating uses for Club Soda »
And this is how you use it:
- Get yourself a can
- Pour it over your head after shampooing
- Let it fizz up like crazy (It’s fun)
- Let it have a bubble party on your scalp
- Rinse it off
- Condition your hair
Watch this Youtube video from Howcast.
You’ll immediately feel the neutralizing effect.
Feel the light, smooth, bouncy, and incredibly shiny hair the next morning !
Club Soda is buffed with stable pH. It’s hair friendly.
Demineralizers – Another One For The DIY Fanatics
Have you heard of these little sachets of micro crystals ?
You may have seen them in hair salons … the Malibu C Harsh Water Demineralizer.
These little gems work like a full fledged water softener for your hair.
And they are super cheap !
You would be crazy not to give them a try.
Imagine Club Soda, but with added micro crystals (salts).
Similar to salt that’s used to soften water.
Wikipedia: How to eliminate hard water with salt »
Here are the benefits:
- Cure For Orange Hair: Ideal for blonde hair turning brassy
- Chlorine Relief: Neutralises chlorine in your hair
- Get The Green Tint Out: No more greenish unattractive hair color
- Highlights Friendly: Brings out your highlights
Even if you have a water softener installed, you can’t prevent rust from the pipes turning your blonde hair neon orange.
Use a demineralizer and strip out the unwanted rust from your hair.
As an added bonus:
It makes your hair easy to comb through. No more messy tangled hair !
How To Use A Demineralizer
- The Demineralizing Salt: 1 Malibu crystal gel sachet
- Shower Cap: Cover your hair while it’s working
- Deep Moisturizing Mask: For aftercare
How you do it:
- Right after your shower, pour the crystals in your wet palms
- Mix it with water
- It will lather and become a soft gel
- Scrunch it throughout your hair
- Put on your shower cap
- Leave it in for 15 minutes
- You may apply heat from blow dryer for best results
- After 15 minutes, shampoo and rinse thoroughly
- Apply your deep conditioning mask
Don’t Forget: Do it once a week and follow up with a deep conditioner.
Here’s a good one: Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil
If you are a frequent washer, train your hair to go 2-3 days without washing.
How To Make Hair Last Longer Between Washes
“It’s fine to go a few days without shampooing.”
Says Professional hair stylist Alli Webb
Read it here: 7 reasons to be a slob »
If you can’t go a day without washing, use the Ion hard water shampoo and conditioner.
Daily hair wash means, you have a problem.
Your oil machine is on overdrive !
And you need to rebalance it.
Train your hair to be less greasy.Here’s how you do it:
- Use a dry shampoo to keep your hair clean in between washes
- Use a boar bristle brush
Spread Natural Oils Evenly With A Boar Bristle Brush
I read about it online. Tried it. Now it’s part of my beauty essentials.
I can go 2 days without shampooing my hair and not feel like an oil slick …
Brush your hair gently every day. It prevents oils from building up at the roots.
Did you know ?
Stretching your hair wash longer also cures dandruff problems.
Dandruff Is More Than Just Dry Skin From Hard Water
They are tiny fungus that feed off oil and greasiness on your scalp.
Everyone has them.
Wash your hair less, and your scalp will produce less oils.
And this stops the fungus from growing rapidly.
Break your washing cycle to make your scalp stabilise sebum production.
More useful tips:
- When washing hair, start with lukewarm water
- Apply shampoo
- Gently massage on your hair
- Rinse out with cold water (This closes the cuticles)
- Cut down on styling products and keep your hair clean from residues.
- Buy an anti-dandruff non static comb.
If your scalp suffers from excess sebum production:
Use Apple Cider Vinegar As Your Gunk Ninja !
Dandruff is more than just a nuisance – it’s embarrassing! Salon sprays are costly, but with apple cider vinegar, your dandruff destroyer will cost only pennies per spray.
Dr OZ – 7 Surprising Ways to Use Apple Cider Vinegar
And here’s the recipe:
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of Braggs apple cider vinegar
- Mix them in a spray bottle
- Spray on your hair after shampoo
- Leave it for 15 minutes
- Repeat 2X per week
Vinegar acid stops fungus from growing on your scalp.
And the best part:
It’s a good relief for itchy scalp. Try it and see. You’ll love it.
The not so good part:
You’ll smell like a salad for a few hours, until the smell evaporates.
For No Pooers – Baking Soda Is The Legit Holy Grail
For those who are at war with shampoos …
There’s Baking Soda.
This dissolves the hard minerals. They become a white film at the bottom of your pan.
Empty the water in a bowl and leave out the white stuff.
Homemade Shampoo For Hard Water Recipe
- 1/4 cup of Arm & Hammer pure baking soda
- 470 ml boiled water (without the mineral residues)
- Vinegar rinse (use my dandruff recipe above)
- Mix the baking soda with water
- Wet your hair
- Apply the paste evenly
- Massage it. Concentrate on the scalp
- Let it sit for 5 minutes
- Wash it off
- Apply the vinegar rinse
- Throughly rinse after 3 minutes
Baking soda also removes hard chlorine from hair. It’s ideal for swimmers.
Swim Proof Your Hair – Best Shampoo For Swimmers Hair
Even professional swimming athletes look after their hair, on and off duty.
Olympic swimmer Darra Torres recommends you put conditioner on your hair before jumping in the pool.
And there’s more tips from Speedo – the swimwear experts:
- Fresh Water Soak: Soak your hair with fresh water first
- Condition: Then add Argan Oil / Moisturizer to your wet hair
- UV Spray For OutDoors: Use UV protection spray for outdoors
- Anti-Chlorine Shampoo: Use anti-chlorine shampoo straight after swim
- Deep Hair Mask: Finish with a 10 mins hair mask (Optional)
- Gentle Detangling: Use a good wet hair brush to detangle
Bookmark my swimmer’s hair care essentials guide below:
- 1. Pre-Moisturize: Ion Swimmers Leave-in Conditioner
- 2. UV Spray: Aveda Protective Hair Veil
- 3. Swim Cap: Anti-Chlorine Swim Caps
- 4. Malibu C: Malibu C Swimmers Wellness Kit
- 5. Detangling Spray: Babo Swim Detangling Spray
- 6. Detangling Brush: Art Naturals Detangling Brush
Follow this simple routine and your hair won’t feel fried or greenish.
Talking about the greenish tint …
Hard water causes hair discoloration, color fade, and brassiness.
Color Treated Hair shampoos That Work Against Hard Water
Here are the 3 shampoos that will make your hair color last longer:
1. Malibu C Color Wellness Shampoo
Shampoo for hard water and color treated hair.
2. Biolage colorlast System
For shiny and vibrant color that stays longer.
3. Pureology Hydrate Shampoo
Best Seller in Shampoo & Conditioner sets.
The tricks to maintain long lasting vibrant hair color are:
- Wash less: Water alone causes 80% of color fade
- Dry Shampoo: Use a color safe dry shampoo in between washes
- Avoid Sulfates: Avoid harsh chemical shampoos
- Use Lukewarm Water: Hot water leeches Dye out of your hair
- Condition, Condition: Use a color-protect conditioner after every wash
And if you’re planning to have your hair colored …
Prep it and remove all the build up beforehand. Healthy and clean hair will absorb color better.
You hair suffers from a lot of unseen damages from hard water.
Understand and know your hair. Frizz, dryness, and itchy scalp are warning signs that your hair is crying out for help.
Fighting hard water will keep your hair and scalp healthy, and best of all …
You’ll notice, you are buying less products to keep the frizz away.