We get asked this question a lot: When can I wash my hair after a keratin treatment ?
The bad news is: 3 days (72 hours)
The good news:
I’ll show you the best same day wash keratin treatments below.
Read on …
Reasons for waiting 3 days (if you’re not using the same day wash)
- Maximum Absorption: Your hair needs to absorb the keratin
- Harden: Keratin needs time to harden
- Neutralize: Let the keratin set in
- Bonding: Bonds the keratin with the hair
- Oxigen: Moisture interrupt the process, allow plenty of oxygen
- Bridge Broken Gaps: Gaps get reinforced, don’t interrupt
- Longer Lasting Results: To keep keratin longer on the hair
- Avoid Dents: Keratin is malleable and will cause dents in hair
Let the keratin do its work and don’t interfere.
That first shower after 3 days will be well worth the wait.
After The First 3 Days …
It’s important you invest in the right aftercare shampoo.
Be careful and check the labels. Getting it wrong will strip out keratin early.
I know waiting 3 days to wash your hair is frustrating for many reasons. I will certainly feel gross and uncomfortable.
Your hair will feel heavy, waxy and unclean just hours after doing it.
Forget about hiding your hair under a cap or even styling it. You’ll have to leave it down straight, and avoid fiddling.
If you’ve already done yours or just planning ahead …
Hear me out and take notes: (This is what I will cover)
- What happens if your wash your hair during the first 3 days
- How to take care of hair after keratin treatment
- What kind of shampoo to use after keratin treatment
- Can you use dry shampoo on keratin treated hair ?
- What happens if you wash keratin treatment out early
- The Best Same Day Wash Keratin Treatments
What If I Wash My Hair After Keratin Treatment ?
You’re planning for a hair disaster.
What happens if you wash your hair after keratin treatment (first 3 days period):
- It Won’t Last: Your treatment won’t last long
- Porous Hair: Your hair will feel porous and lifeless
- No Shine: Your hair will lose the glossy shine
- Unpredictable: Frizzy in parts, and straight in others
Wahanda Forum Discussion:
If your hair gets wet by accident, don’t panic.
Blow dry your hair as soon as possible, then use your flat iron at 375 °F to make it straight.
How To Take Care Of Hair After Keratin Treatment
Check out the briliant tips from Adriana Braje from her Youtube Channel.
- Leave It Down: Leave your hair down for 3 days before washing it
- Avoid Dents: Styling can leave dents in your hair. Avoid it for 3 days
- Avoid Clips, Bands: None of these for 72 hours
- Blow Dry If Wet: Keep your hair away from water for 72 hours
- Don’t Tuck: You can’t tuck your hair behind your ear
- No Workouts: Stay clear of tough workouts. No Sweating
- Satin Pillowcase: Use a satin pillowcase to sleep on
Remember: No fancy hair styles for 3 days !
What Kind Of Shampoo To Use After Keratin Treatment
It’s best to use the same line of products that comes with your keratin treatment. If done in salon, your stylist will provide you with the recommended ones.
If you’re doing it at home, my tip is to buy a complete keratin treatment set.
This comes with:
- Pre-treatment clarifying shampoo
- The Keratin serum
- Sulfate-Free shampoo
- Keratin enriched shampoo
- Deep conditioning mask
- And Keratin Oil (Optional)
What you need to avoid in your shampoos are:
- Harsh chemicals
Here are the shampoos I recommend:
- Inoar: Inoar Pos Progress Home Care Brazilian Keratin After Care Kit
- LuxeOrganix: LuxeOrganix Sulfate-Free Shampoo set
- Theorie: Theorie Helichrysum Shampoo & Conditioner Set
- Arvazallia: Macadamia Oil by Arvazallia – Sulfate Free
- It’s A 10: Top Selling It’s A 10 Bundle Miracle
To fortify the keratin in your hair and get more mileage from your treatment …
Go for the CHI keratin shampoo and conditioner set.
They are 100% spot on.
You may also add a deep conditioning mask to balance the protein and moisture in your hair.
Do it twice a month as part of your new hair care routine.
Can You Use Dry Shampoo On keratin Treated Hair ?
While you are not allowed even a drop of water on your hair …
… a dry shampoo (powder-based) is the only product you can use.
I’ve tried it and it’s also recommended by hair stylists.
It makes your hair feel squeaky clean without a wash. And it only takes 2 minutes.
The dry shampoo will soak up all the oils and residues from the roots of your hair.
What Happens If You Wash Keratin Treatment Out Early ?
Not happy with the results ?
Don’t rush to wash it out. You need to be gentle to your hair and follow a few steps.
Because your hair will be porous, and this will cause breakage.
You can’t completely reverse the treatment overnight. So be patient.
It’s like a hair dye treatment.
You can’t take it off in one go, and you can’t get your natural hair back the next day ! Make it fade gracefully with salt spray or a gentle salt-based clarifying shampoo.
If you prefer doing it the natural way, here is a useful homemade recipe you should try first:
Yogurt and Sea Salt Solution:
What you need:
- 1 tablesppon Sea Salt
- Bowl for mixing
- Mix together in a bowl
- Apply to your hair and gently scrub
- Keep the mixture on your hair for 45 minutes
Salt is abrasive and will scrub the keratin out. While yogurt keeps your hair moist and smooth.
Let your hair air dry, pat it with a towel if you need to. But avoid the blow dryer.
The next day apply coconut oil and leave it overnight.
The Clarifying Shampoo Solution
Use a sodium-chloride clarifying shampoo like Organix.
This will revert your treatment without any damage. Use it twice a week, you will see the difference.
If you want to skip all these and get it over and done with in one day …
You’ll like this part.
Same Day Wash Keratin Treatments
The 3 best keratin treatment kits you can buy today.
1. Majestic Keratin System
Formaldehyde-free Keratin treatment. Same day wash.
2. Kashmir Keratin System
Powerful nano keratin system.
3. Keratin Cure Complete Set
Full set with 6 pieces.
I will choose convenience first and always go for the same day wash keratin.
This is the new trend.
The 72 hours no washing keratin treatments sound so old already.
Everyone wants instant results and I’m sure you do too !