The No Poo Low Poo methods work for one simple reason:
The less you wash your hair, the less greasy it gets – (Wikipedia).
That’s the good news.
The bad news?
Baking soda will fry your hair if you do it wrong!
So here’s the deal:
If you want to stop using shampoos, you have 2 options:
1. Hit up the Internet, read an endless list of blogs (which will confuse you) …
2. Cut through the fluff, use this Best Selling No Poo Method eBook.
(With real examples)
Let me show you how to wash your hair without shampoos (the right way).
Without any dramas or DIY beauty disasters.
I’ll make it simple for you.
Whether you are a newbie or not, I’ve got plenty of tips & tricks to help you.
So let’s get started. Today’s post will cover:
- pH Balance: How the balancing act can damage your hair
- Hair Porosity Test: Do this first to test your hair
- The No Poo Method: How to ease into the no shampoo routine
- Baking Soda Hair Wash: How to use baking soda as shampoo
- Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo: Avoid smelling like pickles !
- No Poo Transition Period: How to survive the break-in period
- Poo Free Hair Care: Planning beyond baking soda & vinegar
- Water Only Hair Washing: Your no poo nirvana
- No Poo Low Poo: When no poo doesn’t work for you
- Brushing: The best no poo brush to help you
- Alternative Hair Care Watch out what you put in your hair
- No Poo Shampoos: The best no poo alternatives
- Deva Curl No Poo: The best no poo products available online
- No Poo problems: Let me answer your common questions
Table Of Contents
- The pH Balancing Act – Beauty Bloggers Vs Science
- Welcome To The Ugly Side Of DIY No Poo Shampoos
- Does Your Hair Float Or sink ?
- Want To Know A Dirty Little Secret ?
- You Can’t Get More Simpler & Natural Than Water !
- Are You Buying Into Fake Science ?
- Focus On Your Scalp First And Keep It Happy
- Sulfates strip out natural oils from your scalp.
- Remember The Vintage Breck Girls Ads ?
- What Do You Put In Your Hair To Avoid A Bad Hair Day ?
- What Happens When You’re Not Using Shampoos?
- Does No Poo Work ?
- When Is NoPoo Right For You?
- When Is NoPoo Not Right For You ?
- No Poo Benefits – 7 Good Reasons To Start Today!
- Let’s Get Started – How To Do No Poo
- Start With This No Poo Instructions Guide
- Make Your Hair Work As Nature Intended
- What To Expect (Prepare To Feel Like An Oil Slick)
- Hack Your Way With These Clever No Poo Tips
- Start With A No Poo Clarifying Shampoo
- No Poo Hair Mask (Detox)
- Do Not Skip This Part: Your Hair Type
- Use Natural Aluminium-Free Baking Soda
- Look For “The Mother” In Apple Cider Vinegar
- Do Not Use Heat
- Boil Hard Water To Dissolve Calcium
- Relieve Itchy Scalp With Brown Sugar Scrubs
- Spread The Oils – Don’t Let Them Clump At The Roots
- Reduce Friction On Wet Hair With A Wide-Tooth Comb
- Clean Your Hair Accessories – Don’t Put The Dirt Back
- Trim Your Hair By 1/4 Inch Every 8-12 Weeks
- Use Updos To Hide Greasy Hair
- Sleep On Satin Or Silk Pillowcases
- Use A No Poo Dry Shampoo To Stretch Your Washes
- Have A Cheat Day !
- Use Cold Water Rinse To Keep Your Hair Shiny
- Listen To Your Hair
- Be Patient – Judge It After 4 Weeks
- Experiment & Have Fun !
- How To Wash Hair Without Shampoo Or Soap
- Honey Is Ready Made pH Balanced
- Use Aloe Vera’s Healing And Soothing Powers
- Use A Conditioner That Washes Out With Water Only
- Do Not Use Heavy Oils
- The Best No Poo Conditioners List
- 1. Deva Curl Zero-Lather No Poo Conditioner
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B000NE6QP6″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 2. Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00C9R86QC” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 3. Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Conditioner
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00EUMC62O” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- No Poo Transition – Rediscover Your Hair’s True Natural Texture
- How Often To No Poo – Hair Types Schedules
- No Poo Curly Hair Schedule & Tips
- Taming & Detangling
- Recommended No Poo Products For Curls
- No Poo Oily Hair Schedule & Tips
- Taming & Detangling
- Recommended No Poo Products For Oily Hair
- No Poo For Dry Hair Schedule & Tips
- Taming & Detangling
- Recommended No Poo Products For Dry Hair
- Normal Hair Schedule & Tips
- Taming & Detangling
- Recommended No Poo Products For Normal Hair
- No Poo For color Treated Hair
- Taming & Detangling
- Recommended No Poo Products For Color-Treated Hair
- Water Only Hair Washing (Beyond Baking Soda)
- Use Low Poo Shampoos When No Poo Doesn’t work
- The Best DevaCurl No Poo Low Poo Shampoos
- 1. How To Quit Shampoo Kit
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B001NZYAYI” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”n”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 2. Best Of Deva Curl Kit
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B016LG0BQE” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 3. Deva Curl One No Poo + Conditioner
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B01BW5ZKGA” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 4. Deva Curl Introductory Kit
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00EKJ1ZEC” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- Be Selective About Your No Poo Styling Products
- Make Zero Effort Hairstyles With These No Poo Hair Sprays
- 1. Deva Curl Frizz Fighters Set
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00TK1EJDY” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 2. Deva Curl Coconut Hair Styler
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B000XTG912″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 3. Set It Free No Poo Spray
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B000QE6U54″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 4. Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B005T4CNIO” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 5. Deva Curl Quick Cleaner Dry Shampoo
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00NH2E2V6″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- No-Shampoo Hairstyles With The Wow Factor !
- Avoid Silicone Heat Styling Products
- 1. Living Proof Restore Instant Protection
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00LXOR3QQ” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 2. Aveda Brilliant Damage Control
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B001JK4CAY” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 3. Kevin Murphy Damage Manager
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B002UEFGH6″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 4. Mixed Chicks Straightening Serum
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B004Y0VCAE” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 5. Sedu Volumizing Heat Protection Boost
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B002BZDJ4G” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 6. Nubian Honey & Black Seed Protect Leave-In
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00BG9K176″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”n”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- Travel Light With A Travel Size No-Poo Kit
- Quick-Fire Answers To Your No Poo Problems
- Does Baking Soda Dry Out Your Hair ?
- So You’ve Got The Flakes – Now What?
- Deva Curl Hair Dryer With Diffuser
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B001PHHUMI” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- Fix No Poo Dandruff Problems With White Vinegar
- Does The No-Poo Method Work If You Have Scalp Psoriasis ?
- How To Make Your Hair Smell Good Without Shampoos
- How To Stop Your Hair Looking Like A Frizzy Mess
- Deva Curl Frizz Fighters Set
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00TK1EJDY” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- Deva Towel
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B003VAIG3Y” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- How To Avoid The Electrifying Static Hair
- How To Get Grease Out Of Your Hair Without Shampoo
- Does Washing Your Hair With Baking Soda Cause Hair Loss?
- Is Baking Soda Good For Hair Growth?
- Can You Do No Poo For Long Hair ?
- Will The No Shampoo Method Dry Out Your Hair ?
- 1. Deva Curl Maximum Hydration
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B001N0R2EI” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- 2. Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0038U4U3M” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]More Details[/easyazon_link]
- Are You Concerned With Brittle Ends?
- Is Your Hair Looking Flat And Limp?
- Is Your Hair Hard To Detangle After Washing ?
- Are You Up For The No Poo Challenge ?
You may think you’ve heard it all when it comes to pH balanced no poo natural shampoos.
Yet, I guarantee that you’ve never heard about this controversial finding, I’m about to show you.
The pH Balancing Act – Beauty Bloggers Vs Science
Beauty bloggers claim that the right baking soda ratio is 1 tbsp mixed with 1 cup of water.
Scientific fact or random guess ??
Let’s find out …
I did some research about this topic to find some credible answers.
And here’s the intriguing stuff I found …
According to Hamfan’s no poo baking soda experiment …
You need 1,418,439 cups of water to dilute 1 tablespoon of baking soda for a neutral pH.
And to back this up, I will use Sonya Kanelstrand’s story.
Read: Baking soda destroyed my hair »
Sonya used a litmus test to show pH results for her baking soda shampoo.
Check it out:
Now pause for a second. Look at the pH scale …
Your hair and scalp should stay in the range of 4.5 to 5.5.
Anything above a neutral 7 can damage your hair as quoted by experts below:
“Alkaline pH may increase the negative electrical charge of the hair fiber surface and, therefore, increase friction between the fibers. This may lead to cuticle damage and fiber breakage. It is a reality and not a myth that lower pH of shampoos may cause less frizzing for generating less negative static electricity on the fiber surface.”
The International Journal Of Trichology Research
So, do you think apple cider vinegar will do the magic trick to balance it up ?
Welcome To The Ugly Side Of DIY No Poo Shampoos
Washing hair with vinegar and baking soda can do more harm than good.
You are taking your hair to the opposite extremes of the pH scale. And this causes protein structure damage.
It’s important to note that the hair cuticle is not a door that you can open and close. It’s a dead protein structure that will start falling apart with repeated abuse.
“I think people need to be careful with baking soda and vinegar, as they may disrupt the hair’s pH and make it brittle.” Michelle Villet
(Beauty Editor Magazine) talking to Alive.com - Alive.com
I’m not gonna lie to you and say that baking soda and apple cider vinegar shampoos don’t work.
But I don’t want to see you waste your time either.
When it comes to DIY no poo shampoo recipes, don’t believe the hype. Just because something is natural it doesn’t mean it’s safe for you.
So here’s the first thing to know before you try the no shampoo method:
Washing hair with baking soda and vinegar may not work for you !
It’s simple – Do a hair porosity test.
Does Your Hair Float Or sink ?
Try this simple experiment:
- Fill a glass with water (room temperature)
- Take a few strands of your hair and put them in the water
- Oh, and make sure your hair is clean
- Leave it for 3 mins
How porous is your hair ?
- It Sinks: High Porosity
- It Floats: Low Porosity
- It Sinks Slowly: Normal Porosity
What does this tell you about your hair?
High Porosity Hair (Damaged With Holes & Gaps)
This is where the no poo hair method goes wrong for many.
Let me explain:
Your hair sinks because it has raised cuticles (holes, gaps etc). As a result it absorbs a lot of water.
And the reasons for these holes and gaps are:
- Over-processing: Bleach & chemical treatments
- Heat Damage: You’re overheating your hair
- Lack Of Keratin: Natural keratin wearing out
- Lack Of Care: You don’t take proper care of your hair
The basic principle of baking soda and apple cider vinegar shampoo is this:
- Bicarb soda shampoo is alkaline. It opens up the hair cuticles
- Apple cider vinegar then does the opposite. It closes the cuticles
Let’s not forget: Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) is a gritty and abrasive substance.
Do not use it on damaged hair. It will increase friction and cause more damage.
If you think using an apple cider vinegar hair wash will make it better …
Overdoing it with an acidic solution will also make your hair brittle and dry.
High Porosity hair cannot sustain the pH roller coaster ride.
High Porosity Hair = NO baking soda shampoo.
Normal Porosity Hair (The Ideal Type)
This hair type takes to chemical processing well. But hair porosity can change over time. It’s important not to abuse your hair.
So how often should you wash your hair with baking soda ?
As I always recommend, the less you use it, the better.
The key here is to hold out as long as you can without washing your hair.
Teach your scalp to regulate its oils.
The scalp halts its production of sebum after 5-7 days of not washing.
So if you can stretch up to 7 days without shampooing your hair, you’re doing good.
To make it simple, think of it this way:
Unless you fell in a pool of mud, there’s no need to wash your hair.
Water only hair washing is good enough to get by …
Until you feel your head needs a good ol’ scrubbing.
Normal porosity hair will cope with baking soda & vinegar hair wash.
Hold out as long as you can – aim for 7 days between washes.
Low Porosity Hair (Stubborn & Moisture Resistant)
Low porosity hair has a smooth and tight surface.
It won’t let water penetrate easily. But once moisture sets in, it retains for longer.
High pH products work well on tight hair cuticles.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B000HK1ON0″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Castile Soap (Dr Bronners)[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B004VLV2V0″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Baking Soda (Use Bob’s Red Mill – Aluminium-free)[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0014P8L9W” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Bentonite Clay (The Aztec Brand)[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0118Q5I2Y” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Shea Moisture – Curl Enhancing Smoothie[/easyazon_link]
Important thing to remember here:
Moisturizing products build up on the surface. They don’t absorb. So if you do use a lot of silicone products, you’ll need alkaline solutions to open the cuticles.
The baking soda and apple cider vinegar for hair combo is a winner here. It forces moisture into your stubborn hair, and it removes build up.
A baking soda shampoo recipe works well on low porosity hair.
Want To Know A Dirty Little Secret ?
Of course you do !
Listen to this:
Baking soda and ACV for hair is only a small part of the journey (Transition).
According to no poo experts …
The secret is to wash your hair with water only.
You Can’t Get More Simpler & Natural Than Water !
If you want to stop using shampoos, aim for water only no poo.
Because this is the last step in your shampoo-free journey. The point where your hair has reached its final form.
And there are good reasons to start this process early:
- Your hair will feel softer than ever
- You won’t put anything in your hair
- There will be less tangles
- It’s low maintenance
- And cheap
Oh, and you’ll also avoid the “slow kill” transition period.
Fair enough, your hair won’t feel as clean in the beginning, but it’s worth the compromise.
You are made to think shampoos CLEAN your hair with the foamy lather and bubbles.
Are You Buying Into Fake Science ?
Last week, I read this article on Gizmodo:
How clean was sold to America »
“Americans had to be convinced their breath was rotten and their armpits stank. It did not happen by accident. Advertising and toilet soap grew up together” Katherine Ashenburg
Author of The Dirt on Clean - The Dirt On Clean
It’s true, advertising changes our perception about personal hygiene.
We are sold beautiful CLEAN hair every day!
But like it or not …
Shampoo is a modern convenience and obsession. Giving up is a big lifestyle change.
So how would you compromise on your beautiful clean hair ?
Focus On Your Scalp First And Keep It Happy
A healthy scalp allows your hair to flourish just like plants need fertile rich soil to grow.
So stop abusing your scalp with sulfates and harsh chemicals. Let it find its natural balance.
Did you know ?
Sebum on your scalp will never make its way through the full length of your hair between washes.
Only the roots get greasy. The ends stay dry.
Unless you are greasing up your hair with other products, you don’t need shampoo to lather up your hair. You only need it to massage the roots.
Think of it as a heavy-duty oil cleanser. That’s what surfactants in shampoos do.
If your hair isn’t oily, you don’t need it.
In fact, your hair needs a good balance of natural oils from the scalp to stay healthy. When you wash it off with chemicals, you start a never-ending cycle of desperate moisture.
Sulfates strip out natural oils from your scalp.
I call it the “Hard Reset”.
Your scalp then produces more oils to fight back and recreate the balance. Every time you hard reset, your scalp produces more oils.
And it’s a never-ending story … (no happy ending)
That’s why the more you wash, the more your hair feels greasy !
Remember The Vintage Breck Girls Ads ?
Imagine for a sec, shampoos and soaps didn’t exist.
What would you do differently ?
Let’s go back into the past to find out.
Before Hans Scharwzkopft invented liquid shampoo in 1927, women cleaned their hair differently.
- Natural bristle brushes
- And pure water
At most up to the 1960s, washing hair once a week was the norm. Because liquid shampoos were harsh and not pH balanced.
But then came the iconic Breck Girls commercials ….
A clever marketing campaign that portrayed shampoos as hair-friendly and promised glamorous, shiny hair.
It set a fake expectation for washing hair more often.
And for this reason:
Cosmetic companies salivated and found a Billion dollar industry to rip you off.
According to Analysts at Goldman Sachs, the hair products industry is now worth more than $38bn and will grow 7% higher each year.
Could ditching shampoo make your hair look the best it ever has? The Telegraph
National Newspaper UK - The Telegraph
What Do You Put In Your Hair To Avoid A Bad Hair Day ?
The average woman puts 515 chemicals in her body every day !
15 of them mixed in a bottle of shampoo.
Did you know?
Most shampoos contain poorly manufactured mineral and crude oils. It costs more to get rid of them than to package and sell.
And guess where they end up ?
Right now it’s in your hair giving it that artificial shine.
To make it worse …
Mineral oils don’t absorb into the skin or hair. They sit on top blocking moisture and toxins release.
These chemicals won’t kill you, but they are not improving your hair either.
They are masking your damaged hair.
What Happens When You’re Not Using Shampoos?
You benefit from a low maintenance hair care.
- Your hair returns to its natural state
- You learn a lot about your hair
- You realise sebum & greasiness are not bad after all
- Your hair will blow-dry faster
- You won’t need extreme heat to style your hair
- You are cutting down on chemicals
- Your scalp’s oil production will normalize
Unlock volume, lock-in moisture, and rediscover your real hair !
Does No Poo Work ?
Yes, if you follow the right methods.
And the idea is simple.
Move natural oils away from the roots and distribute them along your hair. When your roots are not oily, you won’t feel the need to wash.
I call this Total Sebum Coverage.
I use my favourite [easyazon_link identifier=”B001N444H2″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Mason Pearson no poo boar bristle brush[/easyazon_link] to do this.
Once your scalp gets into the swing of things, it works.
Check out my friend Ashlee Mayer’s fantastic no poo results below:
All her secrets are packed in this exclusive NEW ebook which you can get today!
When Is NoPoo Right For You?
- Low Porosity Hair: Your hair cannot hold moisture
- Normal Porosity Hair: Your hair is not damaged and holds moisture
- Combination Hair: Oily roots & dry hair
- Curly & Wavy: Your curls are frizzy and lack definition
- Frizzy Hair: Your hair poofs up in humidity
- Damaged Hair: You overheat and oversaturate your hair with bleach
- Over-Processed Hair: You use heat styling a lot
- Coarse Hair: You have coarse hair
- Daily Washing: You cannot go a day without washing
- Scalp Conditions: Dandruff, psoriasis & seborrheic dermatitis
- Eco-Friendly: You want to be frugal and eco-friendly
- Chemical-Free: You want to stop using chemicals
When Is NoPoo Not Right For You ?
- High Porosity Hair: Your hair is damaged
- Colored Hair: You don’t want your hair color to fade
- No Lather: You think not lathering your hair won’t make it clean
- Prefect Hair: Your hair is already in good condition
No Poo Benefits – 7 Good Reasons To Start Today!
Forget hair worries and streamline your hair styling routine.
This is what happens when you break up with your shampoo:
- 1. You learn to manage your hair’s natural oils
- 2. You wash your hair less
- 3. Your hair retains moisture for longer
- 4. You use less chemicals in your hair
- 5. Your skin feels better
- 6. You spend less time styling your hair
- 7. And you save money too !
All you have to do is start managing the natural oils.
And your hair is telling you to move them from the roots to the tips.
Because Your Ends Need Some Lovin Too !
Brush till you drop …
This old-fashioned hair care routine is getting a lot of lovin’ these days.
- It’s simple
- Soothing for your scalp
- Adds gloss and shine to your hair
… and most importantly:
You can go more days without washing your hair !
Remember your granny’s good old habit about brushing hair 100 strokes every night ?
Well guess what?
Granny was right all along.
The Boar Bristle Brush is back. And it’s popular among no pooers too.
[easyazon_link identifier=”B001N444H2″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”][/easyazon_link]
On the days you’re not washing your hair, brush it before you go to bed. This prevents the oils from clumping at the roots, and reduces the need to wash the next day.
Break The Daily Hair Washing Cycle
Don’t get me wrong, we all live to pamper ourselves.
I do have 5 minutes to wash my hair every day. But this is not my problem.
It’s how I deal with that poofy-bird’s nest after washing, that annoys me most. I’m talking about the detangling, blow drying, and the straightening process.
Yes, it sucks !
And to make things worse, I will end up using silicones and other frizz reducing products to get it back in shape.
Do you see the problem ?
By next morning, my hair has lost its thunder. It feels weighed down with styling products and it’s crying out for a shampoo fix again !
I decided to wash my hair every 5 days.
Surprisingly my hair looked better on day 4 post-wash !
Fair enough, I did use my dry shampoo to help me out. But you get the picture right ?
Less washing = less blow dry, and less products to tame your hair.
With this experiment …
I figured out it was easier to manage the greasiness than falling back into the washing cycle.
The huge benefits of going shampoo free is you learn to manage your hair.
Greasy hair does not always need a shampoo fix. Manage it and make it work for you.
Moisturize Your Hair With Its Own Natural Oils
Do not fight your body’s natural oils.
Work with it instead to create a healthy balance. The no poo regime teaches you how to do it.
With well-balanced hair, there is NO:
- Breakage & hair loss
- Static fly aways
- Dry scalp
Oh, and you won’t have to buy junk products anymore to fight frizz !
Let’s Cut Down On Harsh Chemicals
The average shampoo has at least 15 chemicals that you can’t pronounce. It’s a chemical soup !
Can you tell me one good reason why you need Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in your hair ?
Stick to water only and your hair will get used to it just like it took to shampoos all these years.
And the benefits also extend to your skin and complexion …
Clear Up Your Complexion
Think about all the shampoo run-off containing sulfates, fragrance, and petroleum byproducts …
They are not doing your skin any favors.
Refinery29: The Unexpected Way To Get Clearer Skin
When I switched to sulfate-free keratin shampoo and conditioner to support my keratin treatment …
I also noticed a positive change in my skin.
Try it yourself for a week and tell me how your skin feels.
Enjoy More Styles With Less Styling Time
Does your hair stylist recommend you to come with a “day old” hair ?
Well, that’s because natural oils are handy when it comes to hair styling.
Yes, I can now experiment with many styles by simply using my brush. Something I could never have imagined a while ago.
How much time can you save if your hair does not need blow drying and heat styling every time you wash?
20 – 30 minutes a day !
Anything that facilitates laziness, I will go along with it. How about you ?
At the end of the day, all you’re spending your money on is a big bottle of perfumed detergents.
Are you ready to make the change today ?
Let’s Get Started – How To Do No Poo
Get your notebook out and write this list.
The complete no poo shampoo ingredients and tools you’ll need:
- Clarifying Shampoo
- Bicarbonate Of Soda
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Essential Oils
- Carrier Oils
- Boar Bristle Brush
- Small Funnel
- Squirt Bottle
- Spray Bottle
- 100% Shea Butter
- Dry Shampoo
- Argan Oil
- Brown Sugar
- Baby Shampoo
- Litmus ph Tester (optional)
You’ve got the list, now let’s explore the proven techniques.
Let’s see how the no poo savvy folks do it. One step at a time.
Start With This No Poo Instructions Guide
Make Your Hair Work As Nature Intended
The No Poo Method changes the way your hair works. Or shall I say, the way it’s meant to work !
You’ll get self-regulating hair at it’s best.
It’s no secret why Hollywood celebrities like Kim Kardashian, and Amanda Seyfried are big fans of the No Poo Trend.
“For my hair, I don’t wash it every day. We start out with a blowout on day one, then we go into a messier vibe the next day, and then we flat iron it and do a really sleek look on day three since that requires a little oil in the hair. Day four could be a slicked-back ponytail, and on the fifth day is when you wash it. That’s a little excessive, maybe. [Laughs]” Kim Kardashin
Celebrity - Into The Gloss
You see, this beauty trend is not just about replacing your shampoos.
I would describe it like this:
- Give up shampoos slowly
- Use baking soda instead of shampoo to clean up your scalp
- Use apple cider vinegar to condition the ends
- Let your scalp adjust without shampoos
- Then gradually stop washing your hair with baking soda and vinegar
- Start washing with water only
- Use a dry shampoo to contain the greasiness
- Use a brush to distribute oils away from the roots
- Stretch your hair washing longer
Leave enough oils to keep your hair healthy while removing the excess from the roots.
With a good balance of moisture and oils, you don’t need to worry about conditioning, taming frizz, and dry ends.
Your hair starts to look after itself.
What To Expect (Prepare To Feel Like An Oil Slick)
Expect greasy hair during the first few weeks. It is your scalp’s natural cycle. So don’t freak out.
From now on it’s all about your scalp.
While your scalp adjusts, expect these to happen:
- Extra greasiness
- Unpredictable hair
- Shampoo withdrawal symptoms
- Your hair doesn’t feel clean
- No more lather, soap bubbles. Feels weird
- Your hair will smell a bit
- Straw like hair
- Itchy scalp
- A few bad hair days
I know it sucks, but trust me it’s worth the effort.
Let’s see how YOUR hair will take to it …
You’ll Have The Easiest Transition With Oily Hair
Your scalp is already producing way too much oil …
… so it can’t get any worse. Can It ?
Expect the same when you give up shampoos.
Allow up to 4 weeks and your scalp will adjust.
Normal Hair Will Balance Itself Out Faster
Your scalp will get a bit confused.
It will try to make up its mind up whether it’s greasy or dry.
But trust me, it will balance itself out.
Give it between 4 to 6 weeks before you see any change.
You’ll Have A Hard Time With Dry Hair !
Go low on baking soda and add essential oils to your recipes.
You should also avoid blow drying your hair when you wash. Let it dry naturally.
Allow up to 6 weeks before you decide.
Sometimes to make things work, you have to get a little weird ! By weird I mean: dirty little hacks.
Hack Your Way With These Clever No Poo Tips
Let me ease you into the transition period with some dirty tricks.
- Start with a no poo clarifying shampoo
- OR detox your hair with bentonite clay
- Figure out your hair type
- Use natural baking soda (Bob’s Red Mills)
- Use organic, unfiltered, & unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- Do not use heat
- Boil hard water to remove calcium
- Watch your hair closely & adapt
- Deep condition your hair
- Use essential oils
- Exfoliate your scalp with brown sugar
- Brush to spread the oils [easyazon_link identifier=”B001N444H2″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”](Boar bristle brush)[/easyazon_link]
- Rinse with cold water
- Clean your hair accessories
- Do not comb wet hair
- Sleep on a silk pillowcase
- Trim your ends regularly
- Use a dry shampoo to stretch your hair wash
- Be patient & have fun !
Start With A No Poo Clarifying Shampoo
[easyazon_link identifier=”B000XTHDDU” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”][/easyazon_link]
Make that last shampoo count !
Remove all the silicones and products build-up before you start your transition. Otherwise your hair will feel weird and globby .
Remember: Baking soda is a scalp cleanser.
It does not clean your hair. It removes dirt from your scalp. So make that last shampoo clear out the silicones from every strand of hair.
Clarifying your hair = Shorter no poo transition.
It’s also a good way to reset your hair.
No Poo Hair Mask (Detox)[easyazon_link identifier=”B0014P8L9W” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”][/easyazon_link]
If you prefer natural alternatives to clarifying shampoos …
You can use:
- Rhassoul Clay
- Bentonite Clay
Natural mineral clay powders draw toxins, heavy metals, and chemicals from your hair.
And they carry a lot of other benefits too:
- They are organic
- Easy to do at home
- Improve your hair’s elasticity
- Make your hair soft
- They absorb easily in to your hair
- They are good for max hydration
Here’s a quick no poo bentonite clay hair mask recipe from Darla Clementine »
Do Not Skip This Part: Your Hair Type
Now that your hair is super clean and detoxed …
Do the hair porosity test.
Then get your personalized recipes from the NoPooMethod ebook.
It saves you precious time fiddling with recipes you’re not confident with.
Ashlee Mayer’s recipes have a lot of positive reviews and testimonials.
Use Natural Aluminium-Free Baking Soda[easyazon_link identifier=”B004VLV2V0″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”][/easyazon_link]
I recommend Bob’s Red mill baking soda. It’s mined from natural sources and does not contain any synthetics.
You can tell the difference straight away from the texture. I prefer it to the Arm and Hammer brand.
Look For “The Mother” In Apple Cider Vinegar[easyazon_link identifier=”B001I7MVG0″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”][/easyazon_link]
Do not use refined apple cider vinegar from grocery stores.
It does not contain the enzymes, minerals, and vitamins that raw ACV has.
Your apple cider vinegar should be:
It needs to contain the “mother” of vinegar. The cloudy stuff you find at the bottom of the bottle.
Do Not Use Heat
Heat from your blow-dryer and flat-iron deplete your hair’s natural oils.
Yes, you can buffer heat damage with heat protection sprays.
But there is one problem …
They contain silicones. And you can’t wash silicones with pure water. Therefore it’s a big No !
Wait till the transition is over. Your hair’s natural oils will be enough to protect it from high heat.
Boil Hard Water To Dissolve Calcium
Hard water makes the process harder, because of the mineral build up.
While you’re hoping to get your hair clean, hard water is doing a number on you. By adding more calcium deposits.
You will need a special chelating hard water shampoo to remove this buildup.
The water only hair washing method will not work here.
Do water hardness test before you start, otherwise you’ll end up with disappointment.
Relieve Itchy Scalp With Brown Sugar Scrubs
Some of you may experience itchy scalp with the no poo method.
The best remedy is to exfoliate with a brown sugar scrub like this:
- Use 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Mix it with 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Rub the mixture on your scalp in circular motions
- Finish off with a warm water rinse
Feel the invigorating effect while it clears dead skin cells from your scalp.
I came across some good reviews on this [easyazon_link identifier=”B00L5O6H0C” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]new Aveda Invati Scalp Revitalizer[/easyazon_link], and couldn’t resist sharing it here.
Aveda does pure botanical & chemical-free products, so check it out.
Spread The Oils – Don’t Let Them Clump At The Roots
I can’t emphasise this enough:
Use a Boar Bristle Brush and move these oils towards the ends.
If you don’t do that, the oils accumulate at the roots, become sticky, and attract dust. The reason your hair feels dirty.
Reduce Friction On Wet Hair With A Wide-Tooth Comb
Use a wide-tooth comb on wet hair. This causes less friction.
And with less friction, there is less unseen damage.
For example: The Mason Pearson comb won’t snag or pull your hair.[easyazon_link identifier=”B001N444FY” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”][/easyazon_link]
Good reasons why you need it:
- The wide teeth gently detangle and un-kink your hair
- It makes styling effortless
- It has a smooth tapered edge that glides through your hair
- You don’t need to pull and tug
If you’re still using the wrong brush on wet hair … STOP !
Swap it now and start noticing the difference.
Clean Your Hair Accessories – Don’t Put The Dirt Back
Your hair brush will collect a lot of oils and baking soda leftovers during the transition period. If you don’t keep it clean, you’re simply putting all the dirt back into your hair.
It’s important to keep your hair brushes and accessories clean.
Here’s the quickest way to clean your hair accessories:
- Add warm water into a small basin, sink, or tub
- Add 2 cups of white vinegar
- Submerge your accessories and hair brushes
- Use an old toothbrush to scrub them
- Rinse with warm water and dry
- And voila !
Trim Your Hair By 1/4 Inch Every 8-12 Weeks
Trim those nasty looking ends.
To be more precise:
A 1/4 of an inch every 8-12 weeks – Says Mark Townsend (Celeb hairstylist)
Because they are the ultimate hair styling Faux Pas. And they stop your hair reaching new lengths.
They are the reasons why you overload your hair with silicone conditioners, anti-frizz chemical products, and heat styling.
Use Updos To Hide Greasy Hair
Keep your greasy hair out of sights and make a fashion statement.
- Wear buns
- Top knots
- Pony tails
- Tie your hair up
With updos, you can hide the greasy looking parting lines. Let your hair have its own spa moment. Let it relax.
If you’re lucky enough to have curly, dark, or thick hair, you’ll have an easier time hiding away the greasy look.
Everyone loves a minimum effort = maximum style look. So why not !
And if you do love these #iwokeuplikethis looks, check out my next tip …
Sleep On Satin Or Silk Pillowcases
Satin and silk create less friction in your hair.
And less friction means less frizz, saving you time taming your wild tresses in the morning.
Cotton pillowcases dehydrate your hair. You should avoid them.
Use A No Poo Dry Shampoo To Stretch Your Washes
At times your hairline will look greasy and nasty. And not to mention, the sweaty, muggy smell.
But don’t panic !
Before you dig your big fluffy makeup brush into a pot of powder to dust over your roots …
Check out this elegant and stylish solution that works in a few seconds …
Use the Deva Curl dry shampoo to refresh the scent of your hair and let it soak up the over-exuberant oils.
You’ll love it because:
- It makes greasy hair feel freshly washed
- It’s ideal for spritzing your hair after a run or workout
- It gives your hair texture and oomph
- It slips nicely into your handbag (for busy on-the-go girls)
- It volumizes your tresses with ambiance
- It conceals thinning hair
It’s like cheating your way through !
But then again, you don’t have to be too harsh on yourself ….
Have A Cheat Day !
No doubt, you will have other commitments that stand in your way.
For example: You have travel plans, or an unexpected date or party.
Sure, the dry shampoo will come in handy …
But you don’t want to overuse it either.
Use baby shampoo or a chemical free shampoo like [easyazon_link identifier=”B0015YSNUE” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]John Masters Organics[/easyazon_link].
You won’t break any rules. (I told you so !)
Use Cold Water Rinse To Keep Your Hair Shiny
Cold water shocks the outermost layer of your hair to shut.
This is important because raised cuticles attract dust to settle in the gaps. And you want to avoid that.
When the cuticles are tightly closed, your hair looks shiny.
Listen To Your Hair
Check your hair closely every day and notice how the process is working. It’s important to take notice if your hair is getting worse or better.
If it’s getting worse: STOP and use alternatives [easyazon_link identifier=”B00LFWZL3I” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”](Deva Curl No Poo Starter kit)[/easyazon_link]
If it’s getting better: Gradually wean off the DIY and start washing with water.
Be Patient – Judge It After 4 Weeks
Give it 4 weeks most. Don’t come to conclusions too early.
The result can be fantastic, or a complete waste of time.
But don’t worry.
If you fail with the basic concept or find it time-consuming …
… there are easier solutions that can fit around your busy lifestyle..
Keep reading, I’ll tell you about them below.
Experiment & Have Fun !
Only YOUR hair will know what works best.
So, use your own judgement, experiment, and have fun !
If it’s not working, do not persist. Go easy with the Deva Curl no poo alternatives.
How To Wash Hair Without Shampoo Or Soap
Focus on your scalp. This is where things are happening.
Here’s a quick list of instructions on how to wash your hair with baking soda:
- Wet your hair
- Apply your baking soda mix (on the scalp only)
- Scrub throughout in circular motions
- Rinse it all out with cold water
- Spray your apple cider vinegar (avoid roots)
- Then rinse all out again
- Let your hair air dry
Keep Your No Poo Baking Soda Shampoo At Scalp Level
Baking soda is your gentler alternative to shampoos as it does not contain scents, synthetics, and sulfates.
You must not forget what baking soda does to your hair:
- It raises the pH of your hair
- It lightens hair color
- It dries your hair
- It makes the cuticles rough
That’s why you should keep it at scalp level.
DO NOT rub it into your hair or the tips of your hair where it’s weaker.
Rinse Out Baking Soda And Shampoos Thoroughly
Do not let baking soda residues stay in your hair.
Scalp itchiness and straw like hair texture are signs that you’re not washing it all out.
This may lead to other problems like residue buildup and more greasiness.
So take your time, make sure you rinse it all out before using vinegar. Otherwise your hair will end up looking like a high school volcano project !
Avoid Smelling Like Pickles !
Apple cider vinegar makes your hair stink !!
And the smell won’t go away until after a few washes.
But what I’ve learned is:
The smell is intense on wet hair, but not so bad when your hair is dry.
Still, no ones likes the lingering smell of vinegar.
My 2 favorite solutions to fix the no poo smell are:
- Dry herbs infusions
- Essential oils
Add Essential Oils & Dried Herbs To Your Hair Rinse[easyazon_link identifier=”B018FPJC6O” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”n”][/easyazon_link]
Essential oils do more than just adding fragrance to your hair.
They are also good for:
- Hair loss
- Clarifying your scalp
- Stimulating blood flow to your scalp
- Soothing your scalp
- Dry hair treatment
- Scalp psoriasis treatment
Supplement your homemade no poo shampoos with a water rinse infused with essential oils.
This also adds the extra therapeutic benefits.
Don’t mix essential oils in vinegar
You will have to keep vinegar away from your scalp. So only infuse the oil drops in warm water for your final rinse.
Here’s how essential oils help your hair and scalp conditions:
The Best No Poo Essential Oils List
Do Not Apply Essential Oils “NEAT”
To apply “neat” means to use essentials without diluting.
Never do that.
Essential oils are volatile. They can cause irritations.
So watch out how you handle them.
Use Carrier Oils To Dilute Essential Oils
Dilute a few drops of your favourite essential oil in a carrier oil.
Because carrier oils:
- Make essential oils easier to absorb in the skin
- Spread the essential oils over a larger surface area
And to get the best and most effective mixture for your hair type …
Use this Essentials Oils Chart I found on HappyRealWomen.com.
Click here to download this chart »
Equally as good as essential oils are honey and aloe vera.
Honey Is Ready Made pH Balanced
A simple no poo honey shampoo has a pH value of 4.
Closer to your hair and scalp (4.5 – 5.5), it’s a no B.S, no hassle, and easy to apply recipe.
And you don’t have to worry about side effects either !
Compared to baking soda which is highly alkaline and has to be neutralised …
There are no risks with honey.
If you’re not keen to use baking soda to wash your hair, honey is a suitable alternative.
Why use a honey:
- It’s natural & antibacterial
- It balances the scalp & fights dandruff
- It’s gentle & does not strip oils
- It moisturizes
- Your hair stays soft
- Washes out with pure water
Here’s a quick no poo honey shampoo recipe:
- 1 tbsp raw honey (Use this one)
- 3 tbsp filtered water
- Essential oil (optional)
- Mix your 1 tbsp of honey with the 3 tbsp of water
- You can slow heat the mixture to melt the honey
- Add 1 drop of your preferred essential oil
- Wet your hair
- Massage in circular motion to cover your scalp
- Rinse well with cold water
- No need to condition
Use Aloe Vera’s Healing And Soothing Powers
Aloe vera gel works as a no poo balsam. Use it to soothe your scalp.
Add a few drops in your existing shampoo recipe and feel the power of its proteolytic enzymes that clears up dead skin cells.
Check out this interesting no poo aloe vera and ice cubes recipe »
Aloe vera gel helps if you have :
- Dandruff: Remove pesky flakes and dead skin cells
- Oily Hair: Rinse oily hair without drying
- Frizzy Hair: Lock in moisture & detangle
- Hair Loss: Enzymes promote hair growth
- Itchy scalp: Reduce inflammation
I like the Art Naturals aloe vera gel. It’s a best seller on Amazon.[easyazon_link identifier=”B0128PJ7T4″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”][/easyazon_link]
It’s light and will not weigh your hair down.
Get that flexible hold without making your hair sticky, hard, crunchy, and stiff.
Use A Conditioner That Washes Out With Water Only
Do not put anything in your hair that will make you wash the next day.
Yes, the wrong conditioners make your hair sticky and accumulate dust and dirt. Not only they will break your washing cycle, they will also make your transition harder.
You need a no poo conditioner that:
- Washes out without soap or shampoo
- Buffers the stripping effects of baking soda
- Detangles your hair easily
- Moisturizes without weighing your hair down
- Works on low porosity hair
- Provides good slip
- Smells good
- Has no sulfates and silicones
- Has zero lather
Do Not Use Heavy Oils
Many no pooers use coconut oil to condition their hair.
I love coconut oil too, but I would avoid it during the transition period.
Here’s why …
It won’t wash out with baking soda and vinegar.
You’ll need a good few washes to get rid of it when you’re not using a proper shampoo. Because it penetrates deep into the hair shaft.
If your hair feels super dry, use Jojoba Oil or Argan oil only.
Apply them to the ends, NOT anywhere near the root.
Personally, I’ll stick with the Deva Curl conditioner. It’s made for no pooers, so anything that makes your life easy, go for it.
The Best No Poo Conditioners List
1. Deva Curl Zero-Lather No Poo Conditioner
Stop your hair feeling gunky during your no shampoo routine.
2. Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
Zero sulfates and cruelty-free product with tea tree extracts.
3. Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Conditioner
Ideal for curls and frizzy hair. Easy to wash with water only.
No Poo Transition – Rediscover Your Hair’s True Natural Texture
When the greasiness phase disappears, you’ll notice your hair’s developing texture.
The true natural state of your hair. Without silicone coating and excess oils.
And when you reach this point, you can wash your hair every 7-10 days.
But before you get there, brace yourself !
Your hair will feel:
- Extra greasy (specially the roots)
- Clumped together at times
- Like coarse straw
- Smell a bit
You want to get through this as quick as possible. Because, you don’t need your hair to get in the way of your daily life.
Let me give you some tips to ease through the transition period like a boss.
Trick Your Scalp To Believe It Does Not Need Any More Oils (Sebum)
Let sebum sit in your hair for as long as you can.
Manage it, brush it, but do not wash it out.
I know it’s gross, but that’s the sacrifice you’ll have to do.
Stretch this cycle as long as you can. Your scalp will get confused thinking it’s adequately nourished, and will stop producing oils.
Break the scalp reset cycle.
Remember: The scalp stops producing sebum after 5-7 days of not washing.
All you have to do is to train it.
If you do need to wash in between, do a warm water rinse.
It won’t strip away natural oils.
Let Your Hair’s Natural Oils Work As Conditioner
Trust me, sebum is the best conditioner your hair can get.
I know no pooers talk a lot about natural ways to wash hair.
But in my opinion:
A [easyazon_link identifier=”B001N444H2″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]boar bristle brush[/easyazon_link] is the most important accessory you need.
And here are the reasons why:
- You’re not putting anything in your hair
- No dirty messy DIY
- It’s therapeutic
- It’s calming
- It massages your scalp
- It distributes the oils
- It prevents greasy buildup at the roots
- It doesn’t break your hair
- It’s porous and will soak up the excess oils
- You can use it every day
- Your hair will be easy to style
- It smoothens flyaway
- It removes dust and particles from your hair
- It keep your ends hydrated and roots looking less oily
How Often To No Poo – Hair Types Schedules
Your hair type is different. Your washing schedule will be different too.
Here are the things you need to personalise and adapt with:
- Taming & detangling
- Getting the right products
No Poo Curly Hair Schedule & Tips
- Wash once a week because your hair type hides oils very well
- Avoid baking soda shampoos for curly hair
- Use honey and aloe vera instead in your recipes.
- The rinse only method will make your curls look natural
- Use aloe vera gel in your hair for 20 mins
- Rinse with cool water
- Or use low poo conditioners
Taming & Detangling
- Let your hair air dry
- Plop your hair once every week
- Use a wide-tooth comb
- Sleep with your curls pulled back
Recommended No Poo Products For Curls
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00EQ4U7HW” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Deva Curl Low Poo Conditioner[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00KJSAT86″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Kinky Curly Curling Custard[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0128PJ7T4″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]ArtNaturals Aloe Vera Gel[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0038TVH3Y” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie[/easyazon_link]
- Morrocco Method Leave-In Conditioner
No Poo Oily Hair Schedule & Tips
Your transition won’t feel too dramatic as your hair is already oily.
- Wash every 4 days
- Keep a hair wash journal and find your perfect schedule
- Use a dry shampoo in between washes
- Use baking soda paste (thick mixture)
- Do not apply vinegar to your roots
- Use 5 drops of tea tree oil
- Mix it with Jojoba oil
- Pour it in a small spray bottle
- Add some warm water
- Spray it on your hair – Avoid the roots
- Use a wide tooth comb to disperse it.
Taming & Detangling
- Hide your hairline. Use updos and keep your hair up
- Don’t forget to brush your hair every day
Recommended No Poo Products For Oily Hair
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B001N444H2″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Mason Pearson Boar Bristle Brush[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00T3KWOM0″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Shea Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00NH2E2V6″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Deva Curl Quick Cleanser Dry Shampoo[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0186EWG1M” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Tea tree Essential oil[/easyazon_link]
No Poo For Dry Hair Schedule & Tips
- Keep a gap of 5 days between washes
- Use less baking soda (try honey instead)
- Or buffer the effects of baking soda with yoghurt
- Do the no shampoo water only hair washing method
- Use an easy to rinse conditioner (like Deva Curl)
- Brush your hair and work the oils between washes
- Use a leave-in conditioner once a week
Taming & Detangling
- Reduce heat styling
- Use a silk or satin pillowcase for less friction in your hair
- Use a wide tooth comb
- Use a silicone free detangling spray [easyazon_link identifier=”B001JK4CAY” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”](Aveda brilliant)[/easyazon_link]
Recommended No Poo Products For Dry Hair
- Raw honey
- Braggs apple cider vinegar
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00MXD6GBY” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Shea Moisture leave-in conditioner[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B001N444FY” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Wide-tooth comb[/easyazon_link]
Normal Hair Schedule & Tips
- 3 Days or longer
- Baking soda is ok to use
- OR use the [easyazon_link identifier=”B00120VWJ0″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]no poo castile soap[/easyazon_link] alternative
- Condition with apple cider vinegar
- Or use Devachan no poo conditioner
Taming & Detangling
- Avoid extreme hair styles that need heat
- Stretch your wash longer, your hair can cope
- Use your brushes
Recommended No Poo Products For Normal Hair
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B000VK3RPY” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Bob’s Red Mill baking soda[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B001I7MVG0″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Bragg’s apple cider vinegar[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B001N444H2″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Mason Pearson boar bristle brush[/easyazon_link]
No Poo For color Treated Hair
- Do not use baking soda
- Use Deva Curl no fade shampoos
- Do a clay mask every week
- Use honey for conditioning
- Use the Deva Curl no poo safe conditioner
Taming & Detangling
- Do not use heat (during transition)
- Deep condition weekly
Recommended No Poo Products For Color-Treated Hair
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B003VV8C0A” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Deva Curl no fade[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00SZB0BXC” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]LuxeOrganix sulfate-free no poo low poo co wash[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0056SXYWW” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]Malibu color wellness kit[/easyazon_link]
Regardless of your hair type, be ready to hit a few snags. Adapt and adjust as you go along.
Once your scalp finds its natural balance, you can no poo without baking soda.
Water Only Hair Washing (Beyond Baking Soda)
This is where your no poo transition ends.
It’s called the no poo nirvana.
Have you ever thought what your hair will feel like at this point ?
Here’s a preview:
- Seriously low maintenance hair care
- Your hair will condition itself with its natural oils
- A healthy scalp for better hair growth
- Your hair becomes heat-resistant (don’t overdo it though)
- Humidity proof – Less frizz
- Wash and go
- Less blow drying
- Single stroke heat styling
- You won’t need frizz reducing hair products
Imagine how easy your morning routine becomes when your hair simply learns to behave.
That’s right, there are no layers of silicones preventing if from drying and styling. It saves you time.
And the water only hair washing method is easier than you think.
Just follow these steps:
Replace your baking soda and other shampoos with just water towards the end of your transition.
Use your own judgement here. Only you will know if the transition is going well or not.
Make your hair adjust to one less shampoo a week. Then 2 less shampoos and so on …
You will see gradual improvements.
One the days you skip shampoos, use your fingers to gently rub the scalp and loosen up sebum and scalp oils.
Warm water is enough to wash the excess oils away.
Without shampoos, you’re only getting rid of the excess. Not all of it.
The ends of your hair needs moisture.
It’s your job to work the oils (sebum) into the length of your hair. So, focus on the ends.
On wet hair, you can work your fingers from root to tip to do that.
Use warm water to rinse and a blast of cold water to finish off. This makes your hair soft and shiny.
Sebum is the true and most effective anti-frizz serum. Use a boar bristle brush to make the best use of it.
With 3 minutes of brushing in the morning and at night, your hair won’t look greasy at all.
This also changes how your hair behaves.
- It naturally conditions your hair
- It smoothes fly aways
- It cleans the dirt out
- It adds volume to flat and limp hair
- It improves your hair’s texture
- Well conditioned hair doesn’t need junk products
Rub your hair with flannel after brushing …
I do this sometimes to soak up the excess oils after brushing. It helps.
Don’t worry. Let me show you some other good alternatives …
Sometimes, you can’t fit your lifestyle around your hair.
Work and social commitments can get in the way.
I totally get this.
So does the folks at Deva Curl with their brilliant no poo hair products that are easy to use.
And most importantly, these products fit around your busy lifestyle.
Let’s have a look …
Use Low Poo Shampoos When No Poo Doesn’t work
With the low poo method, you use gentle alternatives to commercial shampoos and DIY recipes.
These shampoos are:
You won’t find better products than Deva Curl, and I’ll show you where to buy Deva Curl shampoos at the lowest prices.
The Best DevaCurl No Poo Low Poo Shampoos
Deva Curl takes the “Poo” out of shampoos.
I have handpicked the best ones you can use right away !
1. How To Quit Shampoo Kit
Click for more Deva Curl shampoo reviews.
2. Best Of Deva Curl Kit
Great deal with travel size shampoos included.
3. Deva Curl One No Poo + Conditioner
Great deal with travel size shampoos included.
4. Deva Curl Introductory Kit
Easy to try set. Cheaper than a $10 !.
Be Selective About Your No Poo Styling Products
A chemical-free hair care regimen means you have to watch what you put in your hair every day.
To make this easy for you, here are the best no poo friendly products for every day hair styling:
Make Zero Effort Hairstyles With These No Poo Hair Sprays
1. Deva Curl Frizz Fighters Set
Silicone-free shine spray, moisture lock, and volumizing foam.
2. Deva Curl Coconut Hair Styler
Gives you freedom to express your hair.
3. Set It Free No Poo Spray
The 24-48 hour moisture lock spray.
4. Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam
For long lasting soft and frizz-free curls.
5. Deva Curl Quick Cleaner Dry Shampoo
Keep your hair less greasy, add volume & texture with this no poo dry shampoo.
No-Shampoo Hairstyles With The Wow Factor !
We’re suckers for anything that is fast, easy, and stylish without compromise.
Do you want to keep your hair game on point without investing on junk products ?
Check out this super lazy girl’s guide to fancy no-poo friendly hairstyles.
You can still put the WOW factor in your hair when you’re not shampooing.
For long hair:
- Wear buns
- Top knots
- Pony tails
Tie your hair up, hide your hairline and part lines.
With your hair up, you’ll avoid touching it for the rest of the day.
For short hair:
It’s hard to see excess oils when your hair is short.
It’s better to have your hair short during the transition period. It’s easy to manage and you can reach your scalp easily when cleansing.
You can also accessorize with hair bands and bandanas.
For dark, thick, and curly hair:
You’re in luck.
Your hair won’t look as greasy as fine hair.
Avoid Silicone Heat Styling Products
Silicones are not water-soluble.
It’s important to note that they don’t wash out unless you use shampoos.
So watch out for any products with ingredients that end with:
NaturallyCurly: 10 Silicones in Hair Products to Avoid »
Here are the best silicone-free heat protection sprays you can use:
1. Living Proof Restore Instant Protection
Protects your hair from heat of up to 450° F. Silicone-Free.
2. Aveda Brilliant Damage Control
Protects your hair against heat damage.
3. Kevin Murphy Damage Manager
Weightless heat shield for your hair.
4. Mixed Chicks Straightening Serum
Eliminates frizz and great for blow drying styles.
5. Sedu Volumizing Heat Protection Boost
Protects from heat damage – up to 450° F.
6. Nubian Honey & Black Seed Protect Leave-In
Keratin formula that protects hair from thermal styling.
Travel Light With A Travel Size No-Poo Kit
What would you rather carry in your travel luggage ?
- More shoes & clothes
- Or baking soda and a big bottle of vinegar ?
Plus, imagine all the DIY mixing bottles and equipment !!
Well you don’t have to worry about this anymore, because Deva Curl has the perfect solution for you …
- Well packaged
- 3 oz bottles
- All the essentials
This travel kit will fit perfectly into your travel plan.
Deva Curl Travel Kit
Save yourself from carrying baking soda and a big bottle of vinegar !
No problem. Let me answer them for you …
Quick-Fire Answers To Your No Poo Problems
The “do-it-yourself no poo” approach carries manageable risks. I emphasize manageable risks because:
When you know what to expect, you know how to prepare for it.
So here are your answers …
Does Baking Soda Dry Out Your Hair ?
Yes, it does.
Use baking soda as a scalp cleanser. It’s not meant to go all over your hair.
So You’ve Got The Flakes – Now What?
Relieve flaky scalp problems with:
- Tea Tree Oil
- Brown Sugar Scrub
Here’s how you do it:
The tea tree oil solution:
Add the drops in a bowl of warm water, then rinse your hair with the mix.
The brown sugar recipe:
Combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 2-3 tablespoons of brown sugar and slowly apply to your scalp in a circular motion.
This will help shed dead skin cells and help invigorate your scalp.
More tips to avoid itchy scalp:
- Adjust your blow dryer to medium heat
- Or use a blow-dryer diffuser to contain the heat
Deva Curl Hair Dryer With Diffuser
Blow dryer with a diffuser nozzle protects your scalp from direct heat.
Fix No Poo Dandruff Problems With White Vinegar
You are disturbing the natural pH balance of your scalp. You need to keep an eye on your no poo shampoo recipes.
The main causes for dandruff in your case could be:
- Dry scalp & flakes
- Using too much baking soda
- Not rinsing properly
- Poor scalp hygiene leading to fungal infections
This is what you need to do to fix the problem immediately:
Do a weekly rinse with white vinegar.
This will fight fungal infections and remove dead skin cells that promote bacterial growth.
Home Remedies For Life: Does vinegar help to prevent dandruff ?
Here’s the recipe:
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar
- Mix them
- Apply directly to the scalp
- Work it in circular motion
Does The No-Poo Method Work If You Have Scalp Psoriasis ?
Yes, it does.
In fact it’s a lot better than using salicylic dandruff shampoos.
Mind Body Green: How to naturally treat a dry scalp & psoriasis (Shampoo won’t help)
Avoid baking soda and use a no poo aloe vera recipe.
This will control the flare-ups and reduce inflammations.
Let me explain why:
Scalp psoriasis is a medical condition that triggers the quick turnover of your skin cells.
The symptoms are:
- Intense itching
- Bleeding on the scalp
Aloe vera works because it soothes the scalp and it cleans up flaky skin cells that your shampoos can’t remove.
You can also use essential oils for symptomatic relief.
How To Make Your Hair Smell Good Without Shampoos
Here are the best tricks to get rid of vinegar smell:
- Keep the vinegar rinse away from your scalp
- Use a few drops of essential oils in your warm water rinse (like lavender)
Do NOT use vinegar on your scalp. This makes your scalp greasy and your skin retains the smell.
How To Stop Your Hair Looking Like A Frizzy Mess
Here are the reasons your hair gets frizzy:
- You’re using too much baking soda
- You’re leaving baking soda for too long in your hair
Here’s what you need to do:
- Cut down on the baking soda
- Add honey or jojoba oil in your recipes
- Use the Deva Curl frizz fighter
- Use an anti-frizz microfiber towel
Deva Curl Frizz Fighters Set
The best silicone-free Deva Curl product for no pooers with frizzy hair.
Reduce friction and frizz on your hair with this smooth towel.
How To Avoid The Electrifying Static Hair
If you’re experiencing static hair during your no poo experiment, it can be for the following reasons:
- You’re using too much baking soda (High pH)
- You’re not doing cold water rinse
- You’re using a plastic brush on wet hair
- You’re not trimming your ends regularly (6-8 weeks)
- You’re using too much heat
Easy solutions you should try to avoid static hair:
- Wet your comb before running it through your hair
- Oh, and make sure it’s a wooden comb (Not plastic)
- Reduce baking soda – Try not to over use vinegar to balance it
- Dilute your leave-in conditioner with water
- Always use cold water to rinse your hair
- Rub a dry sheet on your hair after brushing
- Massage 1 tbsp of olive oil then rinse (Do this once a week)
How To Get Grease Out Of Your Hair Without Shampoo
Here are my tips for dealing with the no poo method greasy hair phase:
- Use Deva Curl dry shampoo in between washes
- Don’t forget to [easyazon_link identifier=”B001N444H2″ locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]brush your hair[/easyazon_link] every day
- Don’t let apple cider vinegar go anywhere near your scalp
Does Washing Your Hair With Baking Soda Cause Hair Loss?
Potentially, yes !
According to an article in the Cosmopolitan magazine, baking soda and apple cider vinegar hair wash can cause hair loss.
However, if you do the basics right, you won’t have any problems.
And to do it right, make sure you follow these tips:
- Don’t let baking soda build up on your scalp (rinse, rinse, rinse !)
- Don’t let oils build up at the roots (brush every day)
- Clean up dead skin cells (aloe vera gel once a week)
There are many reasons for losing hair. Poor scalp hygiene is one of them. The best you can do is to keep an eye on your scalp.
- You’re not abusing the scalp
- You’re maintaining a good scalp hygiene. Keep it clean
Is Baking Soda Good For Hair Growth?
No, baking soda won’t make your hair grow.
But, you can use other methods that stimulates your scalp and encourage hair growth.
See all the no poo for hair growth recipes in Ashlee Mayer’s e-book.
Can You Do No Poo For Long Hair ?
Long hair is not a problem.
Focus on your scalp as always. You simply do not rub baking soda on your hair.
Your hair is more likely to look flat, limp and greasy along the hairline and partings.
Make sure you comb your hair from root to tip to loosen dirt and detangle. And use hair styling tricks to keep it up as much as you can.
Will The No Shampoo Method Dry Out Your Hair ?
No, it won’t.
Unless your hair was already damaged and dry before you started with the transition.
If you’re experiencing chronic dry hair in the process, do these:
- Stop using baking soda
- Use a light cleansing solution (honey, aloe vera)
- Use a strong cuticle sealer on your hair (vinegar)
- Keep your recipes simple
- Let your hair air dry. Do not use heat
- Do a deep conditioning treatment once a week
Here are the products I recommend to fix no poo dry hair problems:
1. Deva Curl Maximum Hydration
Deva Curl shampoo and conditioner for maximum moisture.
2. Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
Your no poo for dry hair weekly deep conditioning masque.
Are You Concerned With Brittle Ends?
Argan oil and shea butter are your best friends when it comes to conditioning dry ends.
I suggest you apply organ oil to the ends before you wash.
I call it pre-poo.
It conditions the hair and adds a buffer against baking soda.
After washing, [easyazon_link identifier=”B0038U4U3M” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]deep condition with shea butter[/easyazon_link].
Is Your Hair Looking Flat And Limp?
Do not over condition your hair if it feels flat and limp all the time.
Use distilled white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar. It will cut through the oil better than ACV.
And don’t forget – vinegar on your ends only. Avoid the scalp.
Is Your Hair Hard To Detangle After Washing ?
The lack of silicones from commercial shampoos will make your hair tangle.
You should expect this to happen.
But don’t worry. This has nothing to do with your new hair routine.
There are a few easy ways to take care of this problem:
Use A Wide-Tooth Comb Before Washing Your Hair[easyazon_link identifier=”B001N444FY” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”][/easyazon_link]
This is your perfect no poo detangler. Use it to detangle your hair before you jump in the shower.Do Not Brush Wet Hair
Your hair is 3 times weaker when it’s wet.
Surprisingly, I see most people brush their hair vigorously with a plastic brush right out of the shower. It’s a big No No for me.
Use A Detangling Spray
Let your hair dry first, then apply a detangling spray like in the video below:
Product used in this video: [easyazon_link identifier=”B00AQG1ZMA” locale=”US” tag=”botoxhair-20″ localize=”y”]The Deva Concepts No-Comb Detangling Hair Spray[/easyazon_link].
The spray will do most of the untangling for you. But you can still work through your hair with your fingers.
You may need a comb depending on your hair, but at least it reduces the need for pulling and tugging.
Are You Up For The No Poo Challenge ?
Join over 2,800 people on the nopoomethod facebook group.
See what other no pooers are doing. Read their testimonials, see their daily updates and ask questions.
It’s time to break up with your shampoo and rediscover your real hair.
The no-poo movement is more than just a hair care revolution.
Just like yoga teaches you how to listen to your body, this natural hair care method makes you understand how your hair works.
You don’t need the aggressive chemicals and the daily washing.
Start with the No Poo Low Poo methods today, and you’ll be surprised how beautiful your real hair is, underneath all the silicones.
Get Your No Poo Method e-Book Today !