Your Flat Iron Hair Straightener Is Burning Your Hair. Here’s Why… (Heat Tolerance)
Here’s the brutal truth about flat irons and hair straightening.
Most people don’t know what temperature to use on their hair type.
And this is a serious problem which causes heat damage.
What if I told you …
Your hair burns at the same temperature as paper – 451°F.
Sure, you may not see your hair literally on fire …
… but once heat damage takes its toll – you’re toast.
The warning signs for hair damage are obvious:
- Split ends
- Frizzy & frazzled hair
- Dry & rough hair
- Dull appearance
- Too much breakage
- Difficult to style
- Curls won’t snap back
- High porosity
- Moisturizers won’t work
Is Your Flat Iron Good For Your Hair?
You don’t have to buy “the one” that everyone else has.
Why, you ask ?
OK, let me ask you this simple question …
Do you know the heat tolerance of your hair ?
But don’t worry.
Over the last 6 months, we’ve done experiments …
… tested different varieties, asked questions, dug deep into forums and social media.
And the team here has some SURPRISING results, which I am going to share with you.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Heat Tolerance: Hair types & exact temperature settings
- Size: Pick the exact size you need
- Materials: Don’t get paralyzed by too many choices
- Benefits: Smart features to help you style hair faster
- Convenience: Ease of use – ergonomics
- Accessories: How to make your hair styling routine easier
- Caring: How to look after your flat iron and make it last longer
Your flat iron will save you from the proverbial bad hair days.
Don’t just grab and go …
… or make an impulse buy when it comes to your crowning glory.
Table Of Contents
- Is Your Flat Iron Good For Your Hair?
- Professional vs Cheap
- Main Concerns When Using Heat Styling
- What To Consider When Buying Yours
- What’s Your Budget ?
- Ions Make A Huge Difference
- Materials – What Are The Plates Made Of ?
- Smooth Plates – Your Hair Runs Easily Between Them
- How To Spot Counterfeit Straighteners
- Flat Iron Safety Tests & Certificates
- Auto Shut-Off (Peace Of Mind Guaranteed)
- Avoid Strain On Your Wrist
- Non Slip Grip For More Styling Control
- 1 Inch Is Not The Standard Size !
- Long Hair – Wide Plates
- Short Hair – Slim Plates
- Narrow And Slim Plates
- Medium Plates
- Wide And Large Plates
- The Dual Voltage Flat Iron
- 110 V
- 220V & 240V
- Adjustable Temperatures – Not Just High Low
- Babyliss Pro With Temperature Memory
- Heat Quality (PTFC)
- Fast Heat Up
- Recovery Time Should Be 6-8 Seconds
- T3 SinglePass X
- Indicator Lights
- Tri-Zone Technology (Sensors Inside Plates)
- GHD Eclipse
- Features- You Just Focus On Looking Pretty
- Types Of Flat Irons – Unlimited Hair Styling Options
- Stove Heated Flat Hair Irons – Are They Dead?
- The Milstan Flat Feather Iron
- Steam Flat Irons (Vaporized Air)
- Infiniti by Conair Steam straightener
- Healing Vapor
- Agave Healing Vapor Iron
- Aluminium (Cheapest)
- Ionic Flat Irons
- Nano Titanium
- Ceramic Plates
- Ceramic Titanium Infused Plates
- Ceramic Ion Thermal
- Nano Ceramic Plates
- Digital Ceramic (Temperature Precision)
- Hot Tools Professional Flat Iron
- Ceramic Magnetic Plates
- Ionic Ceramic
- Convertable Ceramic [TUV Certified]
- Tourmaline Flat Irons (Zero Friction Smooth Glider)
- Tourmaline Ceramic – Enjoy Single Glide Straightening
- Nano Tourmaline
- Tourmaline Vs Ceramic
- Hair Curling Irons – Make Waves …
- Do You Struggle To Curl Your Hair At Home ?
- Damp To Dry Flat Irons
- Wet To Dry
- Wet To Straight & Your Hair Won’t Get Crispy!
- Wet Or Dry
- Keratin Flat Irons
- Brazilian Blowout – Seal Keratin In Your Hair
- Argan Heat Infused Plates
- Small – Get Closer To The Roots
- Get This In Your Handbag
- GHD Gold Mini Styler
- Cordless (Wireless) Straighteners
- Battery Operated Hair Straightener
- Travelling ? You Don’t Need Converters And Adaptors Anymore
- Far Infrared
- Teeth – Your Hair Root Straightener
- A Built In Brush Gives Your Hair Lift & Volume
- The Comb Chase Method – Why It Helps
- Crimpy Is Totally Stylish – If You Know How To Do It!
- Curved Plates – No Bends, No Lines …
- Rotating Styler – Pump Up Your Hair Volume In 8 Mins
- Instyler Rotating Iron
- Vibrating & Oscillating – It Can Be Fun …
- Brocato Vibrastrait Vibrating Oscillating Iron
- Silicone Plates – Better Cushion For Your Hair
- Say No To Animal Testing – Be A Cruelty-Free Stylist
- Does A Flat Iron Damage Your Hair ?
- Your Hair Type And Texture
- Fine And Straight Hair
- Thin Hair
- Short Hair
- Frizzy Hair
- Sorry, I Can’t Hear You Over The Volume Of My Hair
- Curly Hair
- How To Curl Your Hair
- Conair Curl Secret
- Bouncing Curls – Make Natural Looking Springs
- Curling Wands Make Your Curls Flow …
- Remington Curling Wand
- Tapered Curling Wands
- Use Clipless Curlers For The Tousled Beach Look
- Curl Enhancing
- African American Hair Is Sensitive To Heat
- Natural Hair Needs Ions & Gentle Heat
- Wide Tooth Comb
- Styling Braids
- Synthetic Hair Melts – Be Careful
- Thick Hair
- Thick Curly Hair
- Coarse Hair
- Dry And Damaged Hair Needs Regular Trims
- Oily Hair
- Normal Hair
- Prevent Hair Color Fading From Heat
- How To Use Your Hair Straightener Effectively
- Start Clean
- How To Clean Your Flat Iron
- Don’t Flat Iron Damp Hair
- Don’t Use On Damaged Hair
- Leave In Conditioners
- Prep Your Hair
- Heat Protection Spray
- Don’t Blast The Heat Up
- Stretch & Ventilate With A Comb
- Section Your Hair
- Slowly Decrease Tension As You Move Along, But Keep It Moving
- Let Moisture Work For You
- Use A Lightweight Finishing Spray
- Leonor Greyl Paris Spray Structure Naturelle
- Maintain Your Flat Iron
- Use A Proper Storage
- Top Trusted Brands I will Go For
Professional vs Cheap
It will frustrate you.
- Uneven Heat: Cheap flat irons don’t distribute equal heat
- More Passes: You need more passes on your hair
- Inch By Inch: It makes you style inch by inch
- Hot Spots: Uneven heating causes hot spots
- Low Quality Plates: Low quality metal under the coating overheats
- Coating Peels Off: The shiny coating peels off & catches your hair
A cheap one will make your hair look like a hot mess.
Half frizzy, half done.
Put your money on a professional flat iron.
Because there’s nothing more precious than a good hair day.
Get your GHD Platinum. Recommended By Professional Hair Stylists.
The girls here swear by the GHD Platinum. Yes, We’re slightly obsessed with GHD. Are you?
Keep this in mind:
Even heat distribution on the plates means:
Less passes and faster results.
Imagine that exquisite feeling you get when stepping out of a hair salon.
That’s what I am talking about.
Simple… right ?
Not just yet …
Setting your mind on a professional hair styler means you’re on the right track.
“But Camelia, I use mine daily. Does this burn my hair ?”
Okay: I get it.
If I were you, I’d be concerned about that too.
Follow me …
Let me answer your concerns.
Main Concerns When Using Heat Styling
How often do you use your hair styler ?
If you use yours every other day and still see signs of dry hair and frizz …
… back off and allow 2-3 days between use.
Do Not Flat Iron Your Hair Everyday
Give your hair 24-hour breaks.
Results from 2 online polls reveal that only 27% of women would use a flat iron everyday.
34% would use it a few times a week.
This is how women voted:
Flat ironing your hair every day will cause:
- Broken hair
- Loss of natural hair moisture
If you do need to:
Use a good heat protectant to shield your hair.
Use conditioners & oils in your hair the night before heat styling.
This protects your hair against intense heat.
Style your hair every other day & avoid washing in between.
If it gets greasy, use a dry shampoo. That’ll fix it.
Picture perfect hair every day means heat damage.
Heat Distribution (Hot Spots & Snags)
Your hair straightener plates are not in sync. This causes heat damage too.
For example: The lower plate is 300 °F and the upper 380 °F.
These so-called hot spots are common in drugstore variety flat irons.
Uneven heat will snag, pull, & leave your hair in a mess.
How To Avoid Damaging Hot Spots
The problems with hot spots:
- Hair Melts: Your hair will melt in them
- Can’t Clean: The plates become difficult to clean
- Hair Smells: They cause bad smell of burning hair
- Catches Hair: They will catch your hair
Heat Damage Breaks Your Hair
Would you use a hot flat iron on your eyelashes?
Your eyelashes would burn off right away.
Like this …
… your hair is burning too.
You don’t notice because of it’s density.
Heat styling drains moisture & essential oils from your hair.
This makes your hair brittle and snap.
You can’t save brittle hair from snapping and breaking.
I regularly see women panicking because their hair has apparently started to fall out. But in fact, their hair is just breaking off due to their straightening addiction.Iain Sallis Consultant Trichologist Hairmedic - DailyMail
My recommendation: Skip the flat iron when your hair feels damaged.
Dry Hair (Thermal Protection Sprays Help)
Use a flat iron protector for dry hair.
Don’t forget: Thermal protection spray is important for dry hair.
Your Hair Needs Natural Moisture
Natural moisture keeps your hair elastic.
It gives bounce & volume.
Moisture content is just as important to the health & beauty of your hair as it is to your skin.Cunnane Phillips Trichologist at Philip Kingsley. - HuffingtonPost
If you’re stuck with dry hair, get a steam flat iron.
Imagine a heat styler that works the opposite way:
One that adds moisture rather than drying your hair.
Make heat styling work for you, NOT against you.
Find The Heat Tolerance Of Your Hair
The thinner your hair is, the more easy it will damage with heat.
On the flip side:
Thick, curly, and coarse hair need more heat to style.
Let’s face it.
We’re all heat abusers, regardless of our hair types.
The Cosmopolitan Magazine market research poll found out that 18 – 24 year old women are serious heat abusers.
The poll results show that:
- 88% use blow dryers
- 71% use flat irons
- 64% use curling irons
Wow, with numbers like this, it’s obvious our hair suffer from heat damage.
Know the heat tolerance of your hair & stay in your safe zone.
According to Marie Claire Magazine…
… the ideal temperature for all hair types is: 365°F
Independent scientists for GHD claim that at 365°F (185°C),your hair requires fewer heat strokes for best results.
Do you agree ?
Take a look at this flat iron temperature chart for hair:
I’ve consolidated data from:
- Synthetic Hair: Use a Red Kiss Weave Wig Styler
- Fine Hair: Stick to Ceramic at 250°F
- Normal Hair: Ceramic is also ideal at 330°F
- Coarse Hair: Use Titanium plates at 370°F
With this in mind:
A professional hair styling iron with variable heat settings is a must.
Not just a High/Low or On/Off.
Make sure you never use your flat iron at 420°F.
Keratin starts to melt at 420°F, and your hair is Keratin.
Your Hair Length Defines Your Plates Size
This is how you pick your plate size:
Print it and Use it.
You can also buy flat irons with 3 inch wide plates!
Yep, these babies are hard to find, but I’ll show where to get them below as you read along …
The shorter your hair, the thinner your plates should be.
For long hair, you get faster results with wide plates. Because they cover more surface area in one go.
What To Consider When Buying Yours
This is your ideal flat iron.
- Glide: It glides through your hair without snagging or pulling
- Long Lasting Result: Your hair style will last through the day
- Easy Temperature: LCD display for easy temperature setting
- Consistent Heat: It does not lose heat during styling
- Heat Recovery: It recovers heat instantly
- One Pass: You only need one pass on each section
- Lightweight: Easy to old. It won’t hurt your wrist
- No Tangling Cord: Long swivel power cord
- Dual-Voltage: Use it anywhere in the world
- Fast Heat-Up: Ready in less than 20 seconds
- Fast Cool Down: Ready to pack when you’re in a rush
- Indicator Lights: Lets you know when it’s ready
- Non Slip: It does not slip in your hands. Non slip grip hold
- Temperature Memory: Remembers Your Temperature
- Rounded Edges: No bend or line of demarcation in your hair
- Automatic Shut Off: Peace of mind. Safety first.
- Warranty: You’re covered
You want a flat iron that gets straight to the point.
No nonsense, No B.S right ?
So let’s get started…
What’s Your Budget ?
The difference between a stellar flat iron and a cheap budget flat iron is:
It will waste your time and you won’t get the results you want.
Hair styling irons cost from $15 to $300.
Would you go for this price?
A little bit extra makes a huge difference.
I remember when I had to save up for 2 months to buy my GHD.
In the end, it turned out to be an excellent investment for my hair.
I’ll recommend you save up and go for one over $150. Don’t get a drugstore flat iron. Trust me.
I know, $150 is not cheap.
But, you don’t need a movie star budget either.
It’s a reasonable price for a premium product you use to look pretty.
Start your day with glorious hair… You can’t put a price on that !
More reasons for premium hair straighteners …
Ions Make A Huge Difference
Here’s a little boring science lesson for you.
Ions are present in the air and they carry positive and negative charges.
In your hair, Ions are positive. (Humidity & Water)
They make your hair frizzy.
To make it worse:
Plastic and Aluminium heating tools contribute nothing but positive Ions.
You need the right tools that cancel positive Ions in your hair.
Ceramic, Tourmaline, and Titanium charge negative Ions to neutralize the positives.
This neutral balance eliminates frizz to give you smooth hair.
You need a flat iron that produces negative Ions.
It’s all about getting the right plates and materials …
Materials – What Are The Plates Made Of ?
Hair styling irons come in all shapes, plates, & materials.
But this is important:
It’s the plates that touch your hair.
The smoother they are, the better.
Make sure you get one of them. Avoid Aluminium & coated plates.
Unless the premium material itself is further coated.
- Ceramic Toumaline (This is good)
- Ceramic coating on Aluminium (This is NOT good)
Ceramic plates are smooth. With an added Tourmaline layer they get even better.
Smooth Plates – Your Hair Runs Easily Between Them
This is what you get with premium smooth plates:
- Easy Glide: Your hair runs easily between the plates
- No Tearing: No tearing or sniping
- No Friction: Negative Ions reduce frizz & static
- No Hot Spots: No cracks means even heat distribution
- Smooth Hair: Smooth plates means smooth results
- Fast Results: No going over the same section twice
I recently saw this flat iron with * New Floating Flexi-Plates *.
The flexi-plates flat iron claims to reduce gaps and stay in full contact with your hair.
But with all the new flat irons that enter the market, you need to check for one thing:
Avoid counterfeits. They do not pass strict safety tests and they can harm you.
Dangers Of Counterfeit Hair Straighteners: An ex- Navy and RAF man has issued a warning about buying counterfeit hair straighteners after seeing …
How To Spot Counterfeit Straighteners
8 simple steps to check for authentic flat irons:
- Branded Box: Poor packaging is a red flag
- Brand Logo Errors: Check the shape, size, & typo in logos
- Image Quality: Authentic brands don’t use poor quality images
- Guarantee Booklet: Your box should have one if it’s genuine
- Hologram: Your power cable should have one if authentic
- Hologram Code: Code you can check on the website
- Ground Fault Circuit: Fake products don’t have an interrupter
- Sticker Logo: Authentic brands don’t use sticker logos
Use these websites to check for counterfeit hair straighteners:
Make sure your CHI flat iron has the GLOBAL BEAUTY NETWORK INC stamp.
That’s how you know it’s genuine.
Counterfeit heat styling appliances are dangerous.
Here are the problems:
- Faulty wires
- Less power than originals
- Non compliance with health & safety standards
- Non reliable electrical safety tests
Flat Iron Safety Tests & Certificates
No rigorous safety tests mean they can inflict burns or even catch fire.
In the news:
Genuine professional hair straighteners provide safety manuals with guarantee.
Talking about safety features, here’s another good one:
Auto Shut-Off (Peace Of Mind Guaranteed)
In the morning rush, you may forget to switch off your hair straightener.
For peace of mind: Use an automatic shut off flat iron.
No more worrying at work if you left it on …
… or worse:
If there’s anything flammable next to it.
It also saves on energy bills when the appliance switches off by itself.
If you don’t have a flat iron with auto shut-off …
… it’s high time to upgrade.
Avoid Strain On Your Wrist
If it’s not comfortable to hold, it will cause strain on your wrist.
Grip & Weight make a big difference.
Think: Maximum comfort when it’s time to get ready.
The larger the plates of your flat iron, the heavier it is.
Get this small grip flat iron: Croc Classic Nano-Titanium Flat Iron »
Don’t buy a tiny flat iron, it will burn your hands. Your hands will wrap around it too easy which makes it uncomfortable.
More added comfort comes from non-slip grip handles.
Non Slip Grip For More Styling Control
Style you hair with high precision.
And that means, you get the job done faster.
How fast ?
That depends on your plates size and how much surface they cover …
… with single passes of course.
1 Inch Is Not The Standard Size !
1 Inch plates work well for many.
But, it’s not the standard.
Choose a plate size that suits your hair length.
Use my chart above, you’ll make a smarter decision.
Like I said:
- Short hair: Slim plates
- Long hair: Wide plates
Let me explain why …
Long Hair – Wide Plates
You can fit more hair in one go on wide plates.
You don’t over expose your hair to intense heat. And it’s faster.
If you don’t believe me …
Use a 1/2 inch flat iron on your long hair.
And let me know how much your arm hurts 😃
You want wide plates ?
Check out my handpicked selection for you:
- T3 Single Pass X Wide Iron
- Keratin Complex Stealth II Titanium 1 1/2″
- BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium Ionic 1 3/4″ Wide straightener
- Remington S9620B Silk Ceramic Flat Iron, 2-Inch
Hair past your ears and above your shoulders is not short.
Hair touching your shoulders or runs below, is long enough for wide plates.
Short Hair – Slim Plates
For pixie cuts, bangs, and hair above your ears, you need a slim flat iron. Thinner plates get close to the skin and scalp.
Yes, You can style the shortest layers with slim plates.
Did you know ?
Still confused which size is right for you ?
Here are my tips:
- Try Out: Try your friend , sister, or any family member’s iron
- In Store: Walk into a store and ask for help and try
- Hairstylist: Your hairstylist has all of them. Don’t be shy to ask and try out
Narrow And Slim Plates
Easy access to harder-to-get spots.
Fancy Blake Lively’s edgy ringlets ?
Do it with the Conair Ultra Slim Ceramic 3/4″ Straightener »
So what’s a slim plate flat iron ?
Less than: 3/4″ (0.75 inch)
Here’s the list of sizes:
- 3/8 Inch (0.95 CM)
- 1/2 Inch (1.27 CM)
- 5/8 Inch (1.58 CM)
- 3/4 Inch (1.90 CM)
You get the best of both worlds with medium plates.
They are the most popular (1 Inch: 2.5 CM to 4 CM).
1 Inch flat irons work for hair that is past your ears but above your shoulders.
Wide And Large Plates
Flat irons with large plates range from 2.5 CM to 7.5 CM.
Here’s a list of sizes:
- 1 1/4 Inch (3.175 CM)
- 1 3/8 Inch (3.49 CM)
- 1 1/2 Inch (3.81 CM)
- 1 3/4 Inch (4.45 CM)
- 2 Inch (5.08 CM)
- 3 Inch (7.62 CM)
Like I promised, here’s more about the 3 Inch wide straightening irons …
3 Inch plates cover big surfaces faster. Great for long hair.
They are good for kinky hair too…
… because they give plenty of heat.
A bit bulky though, you better get used to that.
Want to go big ?
Check these products:
Note: Reviews are not great. Only go for them if you need the size.
Size affects how you carry yours around …
… but I won’t worry about it.
I always manage to squeeze mine in my luggage somehow.
What you need to check is: Worldwide Voltage Option.
The Dual Voltage Flat Iron
Do you use voltage converters when travelling?
I have news for you:
The wrong Hz will burn your appliance.
- Wrong HZ: Right voltage, wrong Hz !!
- Overheat: Heating elements overheat with converters
- Adapter Plug: You still need an adaptor plug for Europe
You won’t know what Hz frequency the electricity runs on in a foreign country.
The Roaming Boomers: The Ultimate Electricity Guide for World Travelers »
Get a flat iron that handles voltage from 100-240V (Dual-Voltage).
Let’s take a look at voltage settings.
Unlike European countries, American voltage is set at 110V.
Travel writers often suggest you use a converter. It cuts down 220V to 110V.
But let me tell you: This is nonsense.
Read this: Electric Europe: Adapters and Converters »
Just make sure your electrical hair devices are ready for use at 220V and 50Hz.
99.99% of warrantees on flat irons are ONLY covered in the country you buy.
If you blow up your hair straightener abroad…
… chances are, you won’t get a replacement.
220V & 240V
220V and 240V are standard European Voltage.
Buy a Dual-Voltage flat iron.
You won’t need conversion and there is no loss of optimal heat.
For optimal heat you need adjustable temperatures …
Adjustable Temperatures – Not Just High Low
Flat irons release concentrated heat in your hair.
If you go too low, it won’t style your hair.
Too high, you risk heat damage.
You need flexible temperatures you can work with.
A hair straightener with temperature control gives you measurable readings.
Not just high/low or on/off.
Yes, I hate them.
Always start low and work upwards with heat.
Precise & easy to read temperature lets you stay in control.
Don’t be lazy and blast up the heat for fast results.
That’s a bad thing to do.
Healthy hair burns at 450°F (Notice I said healthy hair)
If your hair is fragile, and you do colouring treatments …
… it won’t stand a chance at 450 °F !
Don’t want to set temperature every time ?
Use a smart flat iron like Babyliss Pro with Digital Memory.
Babyliss Pro With Temperature Memory
Click here to buy it from Amazon.
Adjustable temperature features to look for:
- Heat control system
- LCD temperature display
- Rheostat control
- Minimum 150 °F, maximum 450 °F
- Temperature control lock
- Temperature memory
Your hair is sensitive. Heat quantity and quality matters.
Heat Quality (PTFC)
Did you know ?
The heat quality from your flat iron and blow dryer makes a difference.
Good heat quality offers protection & smoothing.
Slow and even heat penetration is safe for your hair.
I recommend checking for PTFC heaters when buying heat styling tools.
Let me explain:
PTFC stands for Positive Temperature Frequency Control.
It releases slow and even heat that never drops, and it recovers heat well.
A good example: Far-infrared
Top of the line flat iron brands use them for their immense reliability.
You will see 3 types of heaters on the market:
Use PTFC always.
Fast Heat Up
How would you feel if your flat iron took 5 minutes to heat up ?
I’ll go bonkers …
You want time savers. One that is ready in 5 seconds.
If you live your life on the go, you can style & dash in no time.
And best of all:
Without compromise, looking your absolute best.
Check out the T3 Singlepass. It delivers flash quick heating in 5 secs.
As the name suggests, you only need single passes through your hair.
Tourmaline flat irons heat up super fast.
Fast heat up irons that can go from 140 °F to 410 °F in seconds.
With good recovery time …
Recovery Time Should Be 6-8 Seconds
It’s no good doing your hair with a straightener that doesn’t maintain consistent heat.
Temperature fluctuations between passes mean it’ll take you longer.
If your flat iron takes 90 secs to recover lost heat, it’s a dinosaur.
You flat iron needs heat stability.
A recovery time of 6-8 seconds.
Here’s what you need to know:
Top quality flat irons have ZERO recovery time.
Thanks to their REQD technology (Rapid Engagement & Quick Disengagement)
Use a flat iron that sustains the same level of heat througout.
Take a look at the T3 SinglePass. An absolute must have for girls-on-the-go.
T3 SinglePass X
The T3 SinglePassX is now available from Amazon »
A flat iron can tell you when it’s ready for use.
With indicator lights and beeps.
And it gets even smarter with temperature memory too …
Tri-Zone Technology (Sensors Inside Plates)
Tri-Zone Technology makes your flat iron smart. With sensors …
Like the GHD Eclipse:
Don’t Miss Out… Get Your ghd Eclipse Today !
6 sensors inside the plates record your hair styling habits to deliver accurate heat.
Features- You Just Focus On Looking Pretty
Let’s not sugar coat anything here.
Heat styling can get frustrating.
And I have good reasons to explain:
- Power Cord Tangles: Can’t move around
- Non Sturdy Tongs: Yes, they can get a bit wobbly
- Slippery Handles: My hand gets tired when I have to hold it firm
- Bends & Lines: I hate bends and lines in my hair
Simple annoyances, but they all add up.
You want comfort and ease when styling your hair.
This is why I look for:
- Easy manoeuvre
- Long swivel power cords
- Sturdy tongs
- Easy to grip handles
- Beveled (rounded) edges plates
- Useful accessories
No one likes fiddling with the straightener early morning.
For ease of use you want:
- Buttons Inside Handles: Easy reach for adjustments
- LCD Display: On the outside for easy reading
- 360° Swivel Cord: Long & flexible cord to move around
Look for at least 3 metres long cords.
Swivel Power Cords – Work The Angles & Own The Space
More space. More angles.
With a long cord, you can use more space to work.
You’re less likely to trip over.
Add the convenience of a velcro wrap and a hanging loop…
… makes it easy to wrap and store away too.
Don’t hunch over the electrical socket every time.
You flat iron power cord should have:
- 360 degrees swivel
- 8ft – 9ft length
- Velcro wrap closure
- A hanging loop
- Retractable feature (optional)
Avoid wrapping the cord around your appliance.
Store it loosely coiled.
Because tight wrapping will damage the power cord.
I know you hate this part.
This may help: Flat irons with retractable features »
Hair stylers can be heavy, or have thick handles.
This is a common problem with hair styling tools.
I prefer handles with embossed patterns. They are easy to hold and provide a solid grip.
For example: The Turboion Croc Infrared hair styler.
How about a handle that rotates?
It’s a good idea. Less work for your wrist.
Look at this:
Grip handles with 180 Degrees rotation.
Flat Iron With Rotating Handle
Grip control matters if you want precision hair styling.
- Spring grip rubber handle
- Embossed pattern handle
- Contoured easy grip handle
- 180 Degrees rotation handle
- Heat resistant handle
Keep it sturdy & avoid strain on your wrist.
Beveled Edges (Avoid Bends In Your Hair)
I don’t like the awful lines of separation in my hair.
Blunt edges on the plates make lines of demarcation.
But not all of them do.
For example: The GHD Eclipse does a pretty good job without leaving lines.
And here’s why:
It has rounded beveled edges.
Flat irons with smooth rounded edges = NO dents & NO bends.
For a top end flat iron, you need a solid warranty backing.
Make sure your warranty covers manufacturing faults.
Manufacturers do not repair faults. They give you a new one and take your faulty one back.
There are a gazillion types of flat irons on the market. Right ?
Where do you start?
Don’t let the choices paralyze you.
Read my step by step guide below. It will help you pick out yours.
Types Of Flat Irons – Unlimited Hair Styling Options
Hair stylers do 3 things:
But you can have unlimited style variations.
You can have beach waves, tight waves, or loose waves.
With all the different hair types, textures, and lengths…
… the possibilities are endless.
No wonder why, there are so many types of flat irons out there.
It’s not a one type fits all.
You need to find one that fits your range of styling and your hair.
Let me help you with this one …
It took me 3 attempts to buy mine. I’ll share my experience with you.
Let’s start …
Stove Heated Flat Hair Irons – Are They Dead?
Back in the days, people used to heat up thermal irons in coal, gas, and electric stoves.
It was not easy to adjust heat.
Needless to say, these caused burns on finger tips.
Fast forward today: Marcel and Golden Supreme still sell them.
They are not dead.
But why bring them back?
One reason: Ethnic hair.
Women with natural & ethnic hair love stove flat irons.
And here’s why:
The new generation of flat irons heat from the inside out (Exothermic).
Stove heated flat irons heat from the outside in (Endothermic).
In short: Stove flat irons release direct heat.
Benefits of stove heated flat irons:
- Heat For Thick Hair: It provides intense heat for thick ethnic hair
- Use It Forever: There is no lifetime
- No Power Cords: No restriction on movements. Use at any angles
- Many Choices: More than 30 sizes
- Less Electricity: Stove heaters use less electricity
- Strong Carbon Steel: Made from carbon steel they are durable
- Consistent: Even heat distribution
- Heat Resistant Handles: Rotating handles resist heat
- Clamshell Packaging
Black cosmetologists use stove heated flat irons.
Because Afro virgin hair needs a lot of concentrated heat.
And this is NOT possible to get from electric styling irons.
It’s important to remember that:
Afro hair has many overlapping cuticles. It’s hard to style.
That’s why direct heat from stove flat irons work best.
In case you’re wondering where to find them …
… they are still big sellers on Amazon.com.
I’ve handpicked a few for you:
- Gold N’ Hot 15 pc Piece Marcel Flat Iron Jumbo Stove Kit Set
- Golden Supreme Iron Stove Styling Set Black
- Gold ‘N Hot Heater Stove Combo
The Milstan Flat Feather Iron
Another one for the naturals.
Invented by Stan “Milstan” Nash, this is the thinnest flat iron.
Use it and you’ll feel like you’ve just received a fresh relaxer.
If you have natural hair, you must avoid intense heat.
But let’s be honest:
You will want to wear your hair straight at times. Like parties and special dos.
That’s where thermal relaxing helps.
The Milstan Feather iron gives your natural hair:
- Straightness: Straightness of a press
- Shine: Shine of a flat iron
- Perm: Look of a perm without chemicals
- Fresh: Crisp & fresh hair style
They come in different shapes and sizes to suit you.
Here’s how you use it:
- Clean: Clean your hair
- Heat Up: Heat up your Feather flat iron
- Blow Dry: Blow dry: but not with too much heat
- Section: Section your hair in small parts. No larger than 1.5 inches
- Stretch: Stretch the sections out
- Rub: Rub the roots with Feather flat iron in downward motion
- Place Hair: Place your hair in between the iron plates and begin
- Repeat: Repeat each section
- Wrap & Tie: Once done, wrap your hair and tie it up.
- Overnight: Allow to set overnight
- Freestyle It: Tada ! In the morning, style your hair as you like
Avoid harsh chemicals on natural hair
Use the simple and effective styling iron from Milstan to get the look.
You can also use vapour to keep frizz away …
Steam Flat Irons (Vaporized Air)
The secret to keep your hair flat & smooth is: Vaporised Air.
If you didn’t know:
Humidity makes your hair grow out instead of down.
To get vaporized air: You need a steam flat iron like the Infiniti by Conair.
Here’s how steam helps your hair:
- Moisture: Infuses hair with moisture
- Gentle Detangling: Moisture gently detangles your hair
- Multi-Level Steam: Straightens while smoothing the cuticle layers
- Long Lasting Style: Locks in your style for longer
What you get with a steam flat iron:
- Removable water reservoir
- Retractable detangling combs
- Easy to read temperature
- Heat resistant pouch
- Heat mat
How do you use a steam flat iron?
- Fill Water: Fill the reservoir and pop it into place
- Set Temp: Choose your steam feature (high for thick hair)
- 30 Secs: Allow to heat up for 30 secs
- Adjust Combs: Set the comb heights from high to low to what suits you
- Run It Through: Remove frizz & style
Infiniti by Conair Steam straightener
Use conditioning Ionic steam and the adjustable straightening combs.
What this means for you:
A different hair styling experience.
You don’t have to brush your hair beforehand. The built-in combs detangle your hair while you style.
Agave Healing Vapor Iron
Add special healing oils to vapour and your hair stays smooth all day.
But how do you do that ?
I won’t tell you about any messy DIY tricks here.
Use a Healing Vapour flat iron. SIMPLE.
The healing vapour flat iron has an extra compartment for healing oils.
When it produces steam, a few drops go into the steaming process.
And this my friend:
Makes the worst split ends disappear.
It fixes extreme curls and ringlets near the neckline too.
Only thing to remember:
You get 1 bottle of oil. You can re order more later.
It can be odd to handle at first. You’ll have to learn how to use the vaporizing button as you style.
On the plus side:
You’ll love the smell and smooth shiny finish of your hair.
Check out: Agave Healing Oil Flat Iron &raqo;
On to our new generation of flat irons …
I call them the “drugstore variety”.
Aluminium plates damage your hair, because they don’t have ceramic protection.
If you use one of them:
Condition your hair as much as you can.
Aluminium hair straighteners are only good for infrequent users.
GHD Platinum has changed the way I style hair.David Babaii Celebrity hair stylist & ghd Brand Ambassador - Estetica Magazine
Scientists at ghd’s Research facility in Cambridge UK, tested their new ghd® Platinum against a standard 450 °F flat iron.
- GHD Platinum reduced breakage by 50%
- Maintained 2 X better hair color integrity.
Here’s what you get with the GHD Platinum:
- Less Breakage @ 365 F: 2 X less breakage
- Even Heat: Tri-Zone technology with plate sensors
- Well Aligned Plates: Wishbone hinge plates avoid hair slipping
- Reduce Snags: Precision floating plates for zero snags
- Cool To Touch: Aerogel insulation that keeps styler cool to touch
- Universal Voltage: Use it around the world without a converter
- Sleep Mode: Switches itself off after 30 minutes of no use
- 2 Year Warranty
Ionic Flat Irons
Like I said, hair styling is all about cancelling positive Ions.
Let’s look at the best options …
Use titanium plates if you have thick & coarse hair.
They heat up faster than Ceramic and they hold consistent high heat.
The good stuff you need to know about Titanium flat irons:
- Ideal for coarse & thick hair
- Good temperature stability
- Corrosion resistant
- Highest quality metal
- Fast heat up
- Better heat distribution than Ceramic
- Highest Ionic output
- Smooth plates
- Better shine for hair
The bad stuff:
It will scorch fine hair.
Unless you use it at low temperatures or check the nano options.
Titanium hair straighteners yield the greatest amount of far infrared heat.
( Source: Babyliss )
They also beam out more negative Ions than Ceramic.
Titanium flat iron plates are consistent hight heat conducters. They are rich and abundant in negative Ions. Use them for thick and coarse hair.
When you see the word “nano”, be on guard.
Nano means “tiny”. Therefore a tiny amount of the good stuff.
You want the full premium materials, not just a nano version.
Why Nano Technology then?
Nanotechnology is 85% babble.
It’s what we used to call:
Intelligent use of powders & thin films.
In relation to flat iron plates:
They are small particles of Ceramic or Tourmaline crushed into the plates.
Sure, they produce sleek and smooth results, but they’re still not the real deal.
If you want Ceramic, go for Ceramic, NOT nano-Ceramic.
Everyone wants 100% pure Ceramic.
But the truth is:
100% Ceramic flat irons don’t exist.
Because Ceramic is too soft and it will crack on it’s own.
Your Ceramic flat iron is enforced with Titanium or Aluminium, if you didn’t know.
You only get a bigger percentage of Ceramic.
Why women love Ceramic plates:
- Heat: They retain heat well
- No Hot Spots: They eliminate damaging hot spots
- Even Heat: They carry even heat throughout
- Far-Infrared: They are good conductors of far-infrared heat
- Moisture: They retain moisture in hair
- No Static: No statics from negative Ions
- Smooth Gloss: Smooth plates give smooth results
- Professional: Trusted by professionals
- Diffused Heating: slow and safe heat transfer
- No Peel Offs: Ceramic doesn’t peel off
- Expensive: Yes ! They are. But you get what you pay for.
- Fast Heat Up: Heat up in less than 20 secs
- Fast Cool Down: Don’t have to wait long to pack it
- Long Hair: Ceramic plates glide smoothly on long hair
- No Tugging: They won’t pull or tug. No breakage
- Less Passes: Less passes to make straight hair
The only downside is:
Many retailers are out there to fool you.
Yes! They all claim to sell pure Ceramic straightening irons.
And this will set you back $500-$600.
You know what to do now … right?
Make sure you read the reviews.
Ceramic Titanium Infused Plates
Ceramic re-inforced with Titanium:
2 X negative Ions in your hair.
Let’s see : The Rusk RSK732 Titanium Ceramic hair styler.
Try it on rough and Kinky hair. You’ll love the results.
What I like about RUSK:
It produces even heat from root to tip.
It may feel heavier than other irons. Temperature control needs some improvements too. (I can live with that)
Ceramic Ion Thermal
Ceramic Ion thermal flat irons are for stubborn curls.
For example: Paul Brown Hawaii Ceramic Ion Thermal.
I like the Ceramic coated paddles. They protect hair color and provide good conditioning.
Nano Ceramic Plates
Nano Ceramic plates release frizz reducing natural Ions.
This breaks down water modules and allows moisture to seep into your hair.
Remember: Nano Ceramic is not pure Ceramic.
But it’s heat resistant, and works well on frizzy and dry hair.
Check out: Gilbert Nano Ceramic Flat iron »
With exclusive floating plates, the iron adjust the gaps between the plates when styling.
And this means:
You don’t go over the same section of hair many times.
Digital Ceramic (Temperature Precision)
Hot Tools Professional Flat Iron
Click here to buy the Hot Tools LCD hair styling iron »
I’ve stopped using heat dials long time ago.
I need precise temperature to protect my hair.
With a digital display, there is:
- No guesswork
- No faffing around
- No wasting time !
My LCD display allows me to set temperatures in seconds.
If you want a Ceramic flat iron, don’t forget to go with LCD option.
LCD is a must. I cannot live without it.
Ceramic Magnetic Plates
Have you heard of Ceramic Magnetized plates?
I recently saw this product from Sutra.
Some mixed reviews so far.
If you want to see how Magnetic plates work, here’s a Youtuve video:
Ionic Ceramic plates work best for ethnic hair.
With constant high heat retention, they are safer than old-fashioned stove flat irons.
The Ionic charge will give you the same bone-straight look without going to a salon.
Use negative Ions in your favour to avoid burns.
They work better than direct heat in my opinion.
Check out the results from Ionic Ceramic plates:
Convertable Ceramic [TUV Certified]
Convertable Ceramic flat irons have non porous surfaces.
With 6 layers of Ceramic fused together.
And they have the highest level of certifications.
- TUV Certified: The best certification a flat iron can have
- PTFC Heating: The best recommended heat quality
Check Out: The HAI Convertable Ceramic Flat Iron »
The HAI Ceramic Convertable keeps exceeding customer expectations. I know people who keep re purchasing the same brand.
One thing is missing though: The automatic shut-off.
I hope they add it to their newer version.
If you want zero friction hair styling…
… check out Tourmaline infused plates.
Tourmaline Flat Irons (Zero Friction Smooth Glider)
Tourmaline surface is smooth like glass.
It produces 20 X more moisture locking Ions than any other range.
It is top of the line, expensive, and yields higher negative ions than Titanium.
When you add Tourmaline on top of Ceramic and Titanium:
You get an Ionic Output Booster.
You’ll feel extra smoothness in your hair.
Because Tourmaline exhibits Pyroelectricity when it heats.
Let me explain:
When heated, one end charges positive Ions, and the other negative Ions.
The negative charge is what helps your hair keep moisture.
And even better:
The plates are friction-free.
I recommend it for natural hair.
Zero friction means less breakage for you.
Enjoy Cricket’s smooth rounded edges.
You just run it through your sections once …
And it’s straight.
You won’t find Tourmaline only flat irons.
This precious material alone is not enough to build hair iron plates.
You’ll find Ceramic Tourmaline, or Titanium Tourmaline layered plates.
Tourmaline Ceramic – Enjoy Single Glide Straightening
Check out the awesome T3 SinglePass Ceramic Tourmaline flat iron.
What I like about it:
- Single Glide Straightening
- Innovative Audio/Visual Interface
- Advanced Digital Heating System
- Consistent Heat
- Zero Temperature Fluctuations
- Lots of Negative Ions
The T3 has a microchip brain that measures and adjusts heat on the plates.
As a result: You get consistent and accurate heat in your hair.
The T3 takes hair styling to the realm of artificial intelligence.
Nano Tourmaline plates are anti bacterial.
If you want a good nano flat iron with Tourmaline:
Go for the HAI Elite Nano XT »
Tourmaline Vs Ceramic
Ceramic is clay. Tourmaline is silicate.
They are different types of inorganic materials.
Finely crushed Tourmaline gemstones only enhance Ceramic and Titanium plates.
Tourmaline can only live on top of existing Ceramic and Titanium.
So, there’s no comparison.
All you need to know:
If you buy Tourmaline enhanced plates …
… you get that glass smooth finish and the extra Ionic boost for your hair.
Hair Curling Irons – Make Waves …
Sandra Bullock, Margot Robbie, and Cate Blanchett …
… all had one thing in common at the Academy Awards.
Wavy hair styles.
Yes, wavy and curly hair are back in fashion.
If you want to wear your hair curly, you need to get a curling iron.
Your regular flat iron won’t do it.
But that’s not all it takes.
You’ll have to learn the techniques too.
Use a hair curler and experiment with new hair styles as follows:
Get these glossy and defined waves.
Loose & Beachy Waves
Try a rotating wand.
Beachwaver by Sarah Potempa gets you loose sexy waves.
Sleek & Glamorous Waves
Try a 2 pronged iron.
The S Waver gives you mystifying Waves.
Gently Sloped Waves
Create waves that are looser at the roots & tight at the ends.
Make lanky waves with tiny bends – like off duty models.
Tight & Symmetrical Curls
Get perfect ringlets with the Conair Infiniti Curl Secret.
Use the bubble-wand tool like Revlon Curl Collection.
Look outlandish !!
Narrow & Polished Curls
Create bouncy curls (not too big).
Make old-fashioned looking curls.
Do You Struggle To Curl Your Hair At Home ?
Make sure you have the right barrel size.
Tip:A slim barrel makes tighter & more defined curls.
A large barrel makes soft & loose waves.
Here’s a chart you can use:
Damp To Dry Flat Irons
It takes time to look good in the morning.
A lot of time, actually!
Here’s my daily morning struggles:
- Dry my hair
- Prepare my outfit for the day
- Style my hair
Unlike many, I do style my hair before makeup.
If you want to save time in the morning:
You can cut down from 30 mins to 15 mins on the blow dry + styling.
How … you ask ?
Use a Damp to Dry straightener.
The first flat iron to work on damp hair. That’s right!
But… you don’t use hair straighteners on wet hair … Right?
Just make sure you hair is not dripping wet.
Here’s your answer to fast styling in the morning: Damp Dry Flat Irons »
Wet To Dry
What makes them different & safe ?
Wet to Dry vs Regular Straighteners
Special Venting System: That’s the difference.
The wet to dry hair styling iron has a special venting system.
This allows moisture to escape as steam.
Check out how a Wet and Dry Flat Iron Works:Get Your Wet To Dry Flat Iron »
Wet To Straight & Your Hair Won’t Get Crispy!
So you can dry and iron …
… but can you make your hair straight at the same time?
Surely, that’s too much to ask ?
Read reviews on the Remington’s Wet to Straight 2 inch styler.
Nothing is impossible.
Wet Or Dry
Steam vents won’t make your hair crispy.
If you haven’t tried a wet or dry flat iron yet …
… you need to know 2 things:
- Steam: Beware of the steam. It may blast out and burn your hands
- Weak Hair: Avoid it on fragile, delicate, & thin hair
Don’t get a wet or dry flat iron if you hair is weak. It will look puffy with more frizz.
Only recommended for normal to thick hair.
Keratin Flat Irons
Fancy adding Keratin to your hair while styling ?
The Keratin Therapy flat iron releases protein micro conditioners into your hair.
Style and condition your tresses at the same time.
This hair styler makes your hair 2 X stronger.
Also Read: Keratin Hair Treatment – The Complete Guide
I’ve used the Keratin Complex Stealth IV straightening iron in the past. Works well on Keratin home treatments.
Brazilian Blowout – Seal Keratin In Your Hair
For a perfect Brazilian Blowout you need heat of up to 450°F.
Because high heat is important to seal Keratin in your hair.
But you also want one that is safe to use at high temperatures.
Go for Titanium styling irons.
Titanium plates complement Keratin treatments. And they do it with less passes.
Top Brazilian Blowout Flat Irons:
To help you get the best of your Blowout, use:
Remember to clean your straightener’s plates after a Keratin treatment. Don’t let the serum stick and dry on the plates.
Argan Heat Infused Plates
Argan oil makes your hair soft and healthy without looking oily.
It eliminates frizz, preserves your hair color and integrity.
Imagine the benefits of having Argan oil infused on your flat iron plates.
I leave it to you to check out the reviews:
Let’s see why people love them (Reviews):
Condition your hair with Argan Heat therapy while styling.
Small – Get Closer To The Roots
Use them for high precision styling. They get close to your skin and scalp.
But be careful:
You may feel the heat on your scalp if you hold it close for too long.
Goodhousekeeping tested 10 mini flat irons for their temperatures.
And their advice:
Stick to the CHI Air Slim Hair Styler »
Because it keeps it’s cool and you won’t feel it on your scalp.
Get This In Your Handbag
GHD Gold Mini Styler
The ever reliable ghd® Gold Series Mini Styler.
Travel with style & feel girly all the time.
A mini flat iron does 2 things for me:
- Compact Travel: It’s small & easy to pack
- Style On The Go: Straightens bangs, baby hair, and tight coils
Look for a Dual Voltage Mini Flat Iron.
You want to make sure it’s compatible worldwide. 30 Watts is good for 430 °F.
My top picks:
Cordless (Wireless) Straighteners
Escape the twists and tangles from these long power cords.
No trip overs, no time wasting in the morning to wrap them.
Freedom lets you experiment with more angles.
You don’t need to be close to a power plug anymore. Use any space as you like.
Keep in mind: Cordless flat irons only last for 1 hour max on battery.
You charge them like you do with your smartphone. Easy.
Battery Operated Hair Straightener
Why you should get one:
- No Power Plug: Use it anywhere
- Easy Charging: Charge it like your phone
- Travel: Hair styling on the go
- Touch Ups: No more parties with frizzy hair
- Affordable: They are cheap
Other things to consider:
- 1 Hr Max: Works up to 1 hr max on battery (reasonable)
- Rechargeable: Don’t forget to recharge after use
- Lacks Ideal Temperature: There is a little compromise here
My top 3 wireless / cordless flat irons:
- Conair Cordless Curling Iron 3/4″ Portable Travel NEW!
- Infiniti Pro by Conair Cordless
- The Beachwaver Co. Jet-Setter Styling Iron
Travelling ? You Don’t Need Converters And Adaptors Anymore
Don’t give up on precious suitcase space …
… to carry a bulky hair straightener.
And I’m sure you don’t want converters and adaptors either.
But I know one thing:
You do want to rock the hair styles… Right ?
Like getting those beach waves a la Gisele…
Why not try the HSI Professional Iron (Includes Gloves, Pouch & Travel Size Argan Oil) for your next holiday?
Travel straighteners are not expensive. Trust me.
Far infrared heats from the inside out.
… that’s what the manufacturers say.
Can you heat hair from the inside out ?
I don’t think so.
Far infrared is no different to your traditional ones. They transfer heat from the surface, through to your hair.
And not the other way round.
Even if this was possible, I am yet to see a real contender.
The closest you can get is the KQC X-Heat 1″ (Free Mini Flat Iron + KQC Shine Spray)
What makes me believe it’s heating from the inside out ?
It uses heat that operates at longer wavelengths, which means deeper penetration.
The good thing about KQC:
The bulk of the heat does not hit your fragile hair.
If you have fragile, fine, and damaged hair…
… use KQC for long heat wavelength styling.
Inside out heat is a myth. Think of it as an inverted heating flat iron.
Teeth – Your Hair Root Straightener
The teeth (detangling pins) separate your hair while straightening. From the roots.
Look at the Maxius Miniglide On The Go Hair Styler »
Feel the smooth glide from roots to ends.
African American and Afro hair women love this product.
Use it only if you have straight or relaxed hair.
If you’re going natural or transitioning…
The teeth will pull out your hair.
A Built In Brush Gives Your Hair Lift & Volume
Do you get knots in your hair after washing?
You can’t escape them.
Before using your hair straightener, you will at least comb through to prep your hair.
Use a hair straightening brush. You can skip combing.
The brush inside the straightener does it for you.
It gives your hair lift & volume, right from the roots.
The InStyler Max 2-Way Rotating Iron prevents your hair from feeling flat.
The bristles gently sort and separate your hair, while the cylinder glides through.
And to add the finishing touch, it has a second set of bristles.
Put it that way:
A brush flat iron adds volume to your hair and saves time detangling knots.
The Comb Chase Method – Why It Helps
Curly hair is a pain to brush.
People with natural hair use a comb in tandem with a straightener.
It’s called the Comb Chase Method.
Running a comb through your hair while straightening helps.
Here are the benefits:
- Gentle: Prevents direct intense heat to your hair
- Less Frizz: Prevents your ends from looking rageddy
- Less Blow Dry: You may skip blow dry and flat iron damp hair
- Saves Time: Detangles as you iron
- Faster Heat: The comb isolates the hair strands. Faster heat
- Lower Temperature: Hair stretches with tension. Less heat
- Ventilation: Combing allows ventilation. No burnt hair smell
- Prevents Burns: Don’t need to use fingers on your ends
What you may not like:
- Newbies Nightmare: If you’re new to it, you need practice
- Coordination: You may find it hard to coordinate your hands
If you’re not comfortable yet to use the comb chase method:
Crimpy Is Totally Stylish – If You Know How To Do It!
You think you have boring hair ?
Try crimping it.
It’s fast, easy, and totally stylish.
Crimpers give your hair the sawtooth style.
Imagine how your hair looks after taking out small braids.
Crimping plates create texture, volume, & defined patterns.
Don’t worry, you won’t look like you just came from the 80’s.
The key to modern hair crimping is:
Leave a few uncrimped sections and mix it up !
Curved Plates – No Bends, No Lines …
Flat irons with blunt edges leave bends and lines in your hair.
The line of demarcation
Makes you go nuts … doesn’t it ?
You end up going over and over, but in vain.
That’s why you need a flat iron with rounded edges (curved plates).
Here’s the new generation of curved plates flat irons:
- GHD Eclipse Professional Performance Styler
- HAI Elite Digital Ceramic Curved Plates 2 Inch
- Andis 67415 Curved Edge Professional Flat Heat Iron
How does it help you?
Simple: Less Passes.
The truth is: When you try to correct dents, you overheat your hair.
Note: You may feel a gap between the plates, but don’t worry. That’s how they work.
If you’re not into curling and crimping, forget the rest.
The best hair straightening irons are:
- BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium Ultra-Thin Straightening Iron
- GHD Classic 1-inch Styler
- Karmin G3 Salon Professional
You can’t go wrong with them. They only do 1 thing: Straightening.
Rotating Styler – Pump Up Your Hair Volume In 8 Mins
Instyler Rotating Iron
Here’s how it works:
When you run the InStyler through your hair:
- The first set of bristles gently sort and separate your hair
- The rotating cylinder glides over your hair to style
- Finally, the second set of bristles apply the finishing touch
Silky & shiny hair… in easy steps!
The rotating action means your hair won’t feel the intense heat at all.
You also get the fullness and volume. NOT the “flatness” of a flat iron.
Use it for 8 minutes and your hair will bounce and feel full of life.
Here’s a quick video: Instyler rotating iron Youtube Video
Vibrating & Oscillating – It Can Be Fun …
Brocato Vibrastrait Vibrating Oscillating Iron
With 7500 vibrations per minute:
A vibrating flat iron shortens your hair styling time by 30%.
Vibrations allow your hair to slip through the plates easily.
Even if you have zero hair styling skills, you can use it.
Let’s see what customers say:
- No Tugging: No tugging & pulling. Hair slips in easily
- Moisture: Seals in moisture, humidity is not a problem
- No Breakage: The vibrations are gentle
- Time Saver: The vibrating plates make hair styling faster
This looks like fun.
If traditional flat irons don’t work well for you:
Try this unique combination of heat & vibration.
Silicone Plates – Better Cushion For Your Hair
Silicones provide good tension for your hair.
With less heat and less breakage.
They are good for African American natural hair.
It’s all about the safe cushion layers.
Don’t use it on thick hair though. The silicone strips will snag at your hair if it’s thick and curly.
Say No To Animal Testing – Be A Cruelty-Free Stylist
With today’s awareness on global warming …
… more women are turning to eco-friendly and animal cruelty-free products.
The FDA doesn’t need animal testing for cosmetics.
Corporate legal departments rely on animal testing to avoid lawsuits.
The conflict of interest means:
Hair cosmetics and tools still contribute to environmental waste and animal testing.
In The News:
Do we have alternatives to animal testing?
Yes, we do.
Look at cruelty-free flat irons like:
Use this website to check for cruelty-free beauty brands: Peta.org Cruelty-Free »
Does A Flat Iron Damage Your Hair ?
Yes, it does.
Find a suitable one that does the least damage.
Like I said: It’s all about knowing your hair’s heat tolerance.
If your hair is fragile, too dry, and already damaged …
… avoid heat styling tools.
Short moments of luxuries can cause long term damage.
The key is to keep your hair well conditioned before using heat.
Other tips to avoid excessive heat damage:
- Use heat protectants
- Avoid every day use
- Use the comb chase method
- Don’t use cheap irons
- Get the right tool for your hair
Your Hair Type And Texture
Here’s the formula I use to pick mine:
- Frequency of use
- Ease of use
- Smart features
You start with length and texture. Everything else follows.
Fine And Straight Hair
The safe zone for fine hair is 250 – 300 °F.
Condition, condition, condition !
Fine hair needs a healthy balance of moisture and protein to withstand heat. It’s delicate nature means, it’s more responsive to heat and prone to heat damage.
You need variable heat to stay in control.
Your choice here is 2 X as complicated and 3 X as important.
Your hair becomes problematic if you want it straight …
… not because it’s not healthy.
Because it burns as easy as paper.
I recommend you set your flat iron on low temperature to start.
Let’s look at hair straighteners for thin hair (Read the reviews):
- Solia Professional
- CHI Original
- Infiniti Pro by Conair
- Bio Ionic OnePass
For short hair, you want one that:
- Holds well
- Takes less styling effort
- Protects your scalp and skin from burns
Anything below 1.5 inches works well.
Look at Sedu Revolution Tourmaline »
It’s one of the best among it’s peers.
It has a freestyle guiding system that gives you more precision and control.
For Frizzy hair, I recommend the Karmin G3.
With Tourmaline layers on top of Ceramic, the plates move smoothly through your hair.
Reviewers on many sites rave about this product. So check it out.
Sorry, I Can’t Hear You Over The Volume Of My Hair
According to the HuffingtonPost, this is the best hair volumizing tool.
Get Your VOLOOM Hair Volumizing Iron Today
Not sure how a volumizing flat iron work ?
When picking out a styling iron for curly hair…
… Look for:
- Rounded edges
- Hot on the outside of the plates
You’ll have troubles creating curls with traditional irons.
You need to use curlers.
These styling irons have barrels, designed for one purpose.
To create curls.
Get one with a small barrel and experiment.
Small barrels make more creative curls. Large barrels make curls that fall out straight away (loose curls).
How To Curl Your Hair
There’s plenty of tutorials online from the experts.
- Howcast – Learn from professional stylist Joy La Rosa
- Instructables – Step by Step instructions with photos
- TopInspired – 10 best tutorials on how to curl hair
- StylishWife – Great Tips with infographics
- Youne – Curls without heat
- Laurene Elizabeth shows her favorite way to curl short hair
- Smaller Sections: Create small sections that are easy to work with
- Twist Underneath: Do NOT lose the tail. Twist iron under & pull
- Pull Downwards: Always pull downwards
- Long Time Tight Curls: The longer you take the tighter the curls.
- Voluminous Waves: Run through the hair quick for volume
- Repeat: Continue each section until your hair is done
Conair Curl Secret
Check out the Curl Secret from Conair on Amazon.com »
Curly hair has natural body, volume, and is difficult to style.
Follow these tips when using your curling iron:
- Barrel Size: Big curls – big barrels. Vice versa
- Let It Cool: If it’s not going right, move to next section.
- Practice: You need to get the hang of it. It’s not easy
- 300-400 °F: Stay in this temperature zone for best results
- Quick Curling Sessions: Use 350 to 360 °F.
- Structured Retro Look Curls: Use 275 to 300 °F.
Bouncing Curls – Make Natural Looking Springs
Use the Jose Eber or XTava Curling set to get glam waves with just the flick of your wrist.
These styling tools make it so easy.
You can have soft, bouncy curls without the stiff feel in minutes.
Curling Wands Make Your Curls Flow …
Remington Curling Wand
Unlike structured curls from a curling iron, a curling wand makes your curls flow.
And even better:
Your curls will hold for longer.
The curls at the end of your hair will look smaller than those nearer to the roots.
Curling wands work faster than traditional curling irons.
The Curling Wand barrel is conical in shape. Tapering and thinning out at the end.
Unlike tradition tong clamps, a wand’s smart shape won’t get in your way while styling.
Tapered Curling Wands
You don’t twist and wrap the wand around your hair.
- You hold the tapered wand still
- Wrap your hair around it holding the end of your hair
- You end up with the tip of your hair at the end of the wand
- Hold it for 10 seconds and let go
This technique is new, so you need to practice.
- No Crimps: Usually from clamps of curling irons
- Creative Curls: Tight, loose, fat and beach waves
Do you want to try out pretty tapered spirals?
Use Clipless Curlers For The Tousled Beach Look
Traditional flat irons may give you kinks and lines at time.
This is why:
Some professional stylists avoid using clamps.
What they do instead:
They keep the flat iron closed, wrap your hair around the barrels and style.
It’s called: Clampless flat iron styling
Clampless or clipless, whatever you call it…
… gives you a tousled beach look. With no lines and bends.
This is how you use clipless curlers:
- Heat Proof Glove: Throw a heat resistant glove on
- Point Tip Downward: Point the tip downward to start
- 1 Inch sections: Create 1 inch sections, wrap around the barrel
- Wind Away From Face: Wind away from your face
- Allow 10 Seconds: Let it sit for 10 seconds then release
- Repeat: Do the same on all sections
- Break The Curls: Flip your head, break curls with fingers
And you’re done.
You take ages to make wonderful curls in the morning.
By midday, it’s all gone …
Have you ever thought of using curl enhancing products ?
Your curling iron can only do it’s part.
The rest depends on your hair quality and condition to hold the style.
You should enhance the look with curl enhancing shampoos and smoothies.
They condition your hair to hold soft natural curls for longer.
African American Hair Is Sensitive To Heat
African American hair doesn’t like heat.
Due to it’s dry texture, you need to keep your hair moist when straightening.
It’s all about upfront preparation.
Use moisturising conditioners before styling.
I don’t recommend using shine-enhancing products. I know they are popular for ethnic hair, but you should avoid.Shine-enhancing & spray laminators will fry on hot surfaces.
Please avoid them.
Titanium & Tourmaline flat irons add natural shine to your hair.
Consider these options.
A good trick for ethnic & coarse hair is to style in small sections.
Watch: How to flat iron black hair from celebrity hairstylist Darico Jackson.
Check out: Flat irons for African American hair »
Natural Hair Needs Ions & Gentle Heat
You need plates that are smooth and soothing to your hair.
In short: You need Ionized plates.
They give off Ions through gentle heat.
Natural hair is sensitive to chemicals and harsh methods of straightening.
The more you stretch your hair, the better results you will get from flat ironing.
Make it a habit to detangle and stretch your hair before using heat.
Use a Wide tooth comb for best results.
Wide Tooth Comb
Wide tooth comb from Amazon »
Another easy way to get kinky hair stretched out is by doing a roller set (Youtube Video).
Here are my tips:
Before you use your straightener, do these:
- Dry: Make your hair dry. Never use flat iron on wet hair
- Loosen Up: Blow dry on low to cool settings
- Heat Protectant: Always use a heat protector
- Section: No bigger than 1 inch sections
For natural hair, start from the roots and work your way down.
Don’t repeat the same sections.
You need a texturizing flat iron for styling braids.
Like the Sam Villa Signature Iron »
This is what you can do:
- Add volume to fine hair
- Wedding hairstyles
- Thicker braids
- Boho hairstyles
- Beach waves
Synthetic Hair Melts – Be Careful
Even on the lowest heat, your styling iron will damage it.
The highest quality of synthetic hair may stand heat of up to 160 °C…
But still: It’s risky.
If you want to straighten synthetic hair:
Here’s a home DIY trick:
- Fabric Steamer: Use a fabric steamer or teat kettle
- 5-7 Inches Above: Put synthetic hair 5-7 Inches above steam
- Brush Along: Brush along while it’s steaming
- Wash & Sit: Wash & let it sit straight for a while
But be careful and avoid over brushing.
Still want to use a flat iron ?
Here’s A Youtube Video: How to flat iron synthetic hair with care.
Product used in this video: Red Kiss Weave & Wig Styler.
You can also use wax paper or baking paper wrapped around your flat iron plates.
Like this: Youtube video
Clever ideas indeed.
Look for Ionic Titanium or Ceramic iron that reaches 450 °F.
Thick hair is not easy to tame.
You need a lot of heat.
For thick long hair, use wider plates like 2 or 2.5 inches. Get big sections of your hair done faster.
Thick Curly Hair
If you have thick curly hair, then heat is not your enemy.
It is safe to go as high as 410 °F to style your hair.
Anything below that won’t work.
Coarse hair does need higher heat. The iron won’t be able to get to pieces that are too thick, and you don’t want to unnecessarily reapply heat.Jeanna Pizzollo T3 stylist - T3
Stick to this recommended temperature: 380°F – 410°F. It is high enough for coarse hair and yet safe too.
Dry And Damaged Hair Needs Regular Trims
With regular trims, split ends will fade away …
Use deep conditioning after each trim session and nourish your hair.
Hair damage means:
- No Heat
- No Flat Iron
- No Fancy Hair Styles
I suggest you try the John Frieda Full repair system.
This adds volume and bounce to overworked hair. When your hair gets back in shape, start using your iron at 180°F, then go up.
What’s the best flat iron for oily hair ?
It’s a tricky one.
A flat iron won’t do anything about the oiliness of your hair.
Flat ironing dries out natural oils, but it won’t do much for excess oil.
Here’s a solution though: Use dry shampoos to get started.
If you have normal hair, you’re in luck.
Make it wavy or straight with less effort.
Use your styling iron at 330 – 350°F. And that’s all.
You have the easiest choices for flat irons. There are no other influencing factors.
Apart from your personal preferences of course.
Prevent Hair Color Fading From Heat
Protect colored hair with a color extending flat iron.
It locks in moisture and prevents your hair color from fading.
You should take additional care like:
- Shower Cap: Use a shower cap to avoid over washing
- Color Safe Shampoos: Use color extending shampoos
- Avoid Sun: Stay away from too much sun
- Dry Shampoo: Use dry shampoo to suck out excess oils
How To Use Your Hair Straightener Effectively
You may think that your hair styler isn’t working anymore.
Before you bin it:
I have a few question for you …
- Do you iron too much hair at once ?
- Do you straighten sections that are too thick ?
- Do you clean your flat iron ?
Little things add up and make a big difference.
Let me help you here with some tips:
- Start Clean: Always flat iron clean hair
- Don’t Flat Iron Damp Hair: It will scorch your hair
- Don’t Work On Damaged Hair: Nurse your hair back first
- Leave In Conditioners: Use them. They are good
- Prep Your Hair: Preperation is key for best results
- Heat Protection Spray: Don’t let your hair fry
- Don’t Blast The Heat: It’s tempting. But don’t do it
- Measurable: Use my chart and get the heat right
- Don’t Repeat: Seriously ! Don’t overdo it
- Comb Chase: Allow ventilation & stretch your hair
- Small Sections: Easy to manage
- Slow Decrease Tension: Slow tension as you move along
- Rounded Curved Plates: Less passes for sure
- Keep It Moving: Avoid intense heat. Keep it gliding
- Lightweight Finishing Spray: Add the finishing touch
Never use heat on dirty hair.
Wash out gels, sprays, and other hair products first.
Start with clean and well conditioned hair for fresh, long lasting style.
Use Clarifying Shampoos for squeaky clean hair.
Here’s the top 10 best Clarifying Shampoos For You »
This applies to your flat iron too.
The plates should be clean and free from product buildup. Otherwise the plates will snag and abrade your hair.
Don’t let hair dirt stick to the plates.
Remember: Gels & residues in your hair will bake on your straightener’s plates.
What you get as end results will be dull and lifeless hair.
Wipe down your iron plates with a soft and damp cloth after every use.
It will glide through your hair.
Cleaning your flat iron prevents the plates from corroding and makes it last longer.
This saves you money.
Note: ALWAYS make sure you clean your straightener when it’s turned off and cool.
It only takes 5 minutes tops. Do it.
How To Clean Your Flat Iron
I like Jillee’s DIY trick for cleaning flat irons.
Don’t Flat Iron Damp Hair
Unless you have a wet to dry flat iron, don’t do it.
Ordinary flat irons will scorch wet hair and drain out moisture. You’ll end up with more frizz and fried hair.
Your hair should be bone dry when straightening.
Note: Don’t skimp on blow dry time.
If you’re in a hurry, it’s better to forego the flat iron for a day.
Don’t Use On Damaged Hair
Only use heat appliances on healthy hair.
Pack away your blow dryer and straightener if your hair is feeling rough.
Leave In Conditioners
Is it ok to flat iron hair that has leave in conditioners ?
It helps your hair with a moisture barrier to heat.
You can use the Redken Spray Starch for heat styling. It has different levels of hold too.
Prep Your Hair
You get 2 benefits from doing this:
- It cuts down hair styling time
- Results last longer
Heat Protection Spray
Don’t let your hair sizzle.
At 400°F, I guarantee you it will.
If you’re not applying heat protection, damage is inevitable.
You wouldn’t walk into a war zone without protective gear !
Would you ?
A heat protection spray is your gear. Use it.
My Top Picks: Best Heat Protection Sprays For You Right Here »
It protects and adds protein and vitamins to your hair.
This compensates for the loss of natural moisture when heat styling.
Don’t Blast The Heat Up
Heat is your enemy and your friend.
- Use It Well: You get smooth results
- Use It Bad: You get fried hair !!
Make it measurable.
Use hair appliances with adjustable temperatures.
Avoid High/Low, On/Off cheap alternatives.
You always start with low and work it higher. Once your hair is straight, leave it alone. You want to use less heat as possible.
If your flat iron isn’t doing it with single passes …
… get the Bio Ionic OnePass straightener.
Stretch & Ventilate With A Comb
Use a comb in tandem with your straightener.
The comb detangles and expose your hair to less intense heat.
This allows good ventilation and stretches your hair.
Use the Comb chase method for best results
Section Your Hair
This always works.
Don’t just grab fistfuls of hair and run your iron through.
Small sections make it easy and manageable.
If your hair is thick, consider using clips.
“Sectioning your hair saves time. The reason everyone complains about straightening taking long is that they’re working off random bits of hair!”
T3 stylist Jeanna Pizzollo
Slowly Decrease Tension As You Move Along, But Keep It Moving
The ends of your hair is more sensitive to heat.
Ease up the tension as you reach the ends.
Don’t allow heat to concentrate or linger on sections. Keep it moving …
Let Moisture Work For You
Your hair is more fragile when it’s wet. That’s true.
Moisture in hair works as buffer against heat. It slows down the rate of heat distribution.
When blow drying, use warm air.
It takes longer but keeps your hair hydrated. And heat stays even on hydrated hair.
Remember: Dry hair heats up faster.
Use A Lightweight Finishing Spray
You’ve nailed the perfect hairstyle in the morning but it won’t hold after 1 hour …
Next time you do your hair:
Let it cool down, then apply a light hold spray.
Leonor Greyl Paris Spray Structure Naturelle
The results will surprise you !
Maintain Your Flat Iron
Take good care of your flat iron, and it will take good care of your hair.
If you can’t find time to clean it after every use …
… then do it whenever you notice it’s catching your hair.
Sometimes, you may notice a funny smell when it heats up.
This is a warning sign that dirt is baking on the plates.
Signs that your flat iron needs cleaning:
- Smell: Baking dirt on the plates
- Not Heating: Not heating as it used to
- Catching Your Hair: The plates are snagging your hair
Use A Proper Storage
Don’t wrap the cord around and chuck it away.
Use a heat resistant bag.
These bags have separate compartments for the cord, you can store the iron while it’s hot.
Accessories for hair straighteners and curlers offer:
- Fast results
Let’s see how:
Thermal Flat Iron Glove
Use many angles without worrying about finger burns.
Use A Holder And Hang It Up
Make your bathroom or vanity look tidy.
A flat iron holder is space-efficient.
Too many appliances clutter your space. Use holders for blow dryer and flat irons.
Why not get the 2 in 1 combos ?
Perfect for those with OCD who can’t stand clutter in the bathroom.
Stand Or Wall Mount
Keep the flat iron off the bathroom counter.
You can leave it to heat up on the stand. It’s heat proof and kids can’t reach it.
Or use a wall mount near your plug …
… and you can have your iron always plugged in.
If you use it regularly, it makes sense.
Ideal for those who are super crunched for time.
Heat Resistant Mat – No Accidental Burns
Avoid placing your straightener on countertops or carpets.
Use a flat iron mat. It protects your work stations from accidental burns.
Your flat iron will stay put on slippery surfaces.
Use a comb in tandem with your straightener.
The Herstyer Easy Comb untangles knots while you straighten.
It’s also heat resistant and prevents static.
This is how it helps you:
- Part Hair: Makes it easy to part your hair
- Make Sections: Use it to make sections
- Spread It Out: Spread your hair out
- Stretch: Stretch your hair to make straightening easy
It’s like having an extra hand.
Hair Straightener Ear Shields
No more ear burns.
Use them to protect your ears from heat styling tools.
You can also use them with hot rollers.
I tried them:
My hairstylist gave me these two slip on ear shields on my last visit.
I have to admit: I felt more at ease during my session.
Do you use ear shields to protect yours ?
Overnighting ? – Get A Flat Iron Bag & Carry It Along
Perfect for gym use, overnighting, and vacations.
I use a flat iron bag to pack my hot flat iron safely.
I don’t even need to roll up the cord.
A flat iron bag or pouch has a separate section where you can store the power cord.
Just drop it right in, seal it with the velcro and I’m good to go.
You can also check:
- Flat Iron Sleeves
- Flat Iron Cases
The last thing you pack when travelling … Right ?
Look for a flat iron travel case that is slim and fits well in any bag.
The GHD Rose Gold travel set has a case that opens up flat so you can use it as a mat too.
Top Trusted Brands I will Go For
- Cloud Nine
Your checklist for buying a flat iron should be like this:
- Hair Length: Plate Size
- Hair Texture: For the right heat
- Frequency Of Use: Durability
- Portability: Travels & staying overs
- Features: Ease of use
- Convenience: Make your life easy
- Accessories: An extra pair of hands
Look for a flat iron that works for you.